JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anybody else here read Nathaniel Philbrick's book on Custer's last battle? Lots of good info, interesting and well written.
index.jpg

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I am very risk averse, and would be worrying that the museum or almost any body might try to claim those glasses as belonging to the government or someone else. Just saying.

OP
OP
M

MAN "O" WAR

Greenie
Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very risk averse, and would be worrying that the museum or almost any body might try to claim those glasses as belonging to the government or someone else. Just saying.

I have the same worries as you. I do not trust a lot of people or agencies in this world. I have not reached out to the museums yet but I will ask some questions in general to see what info/records they have just to see if it's possible to go anywhere with it.

All I want to do is prove my ancestor correct and to surprise my Dad with it. I don't need any unwanted hassle for my Dad or myself, it's not worth it.

Thanks again everybody for your help and comments everybody:thumbsup:

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
I have the same worries as you. I do not trust a lot of people or agencies in this world. I have not reached out to the museums yet but I will ask some questions in general to see what info/records they have just to see if it's possible to go anywhere with it.

All I want to do is prove my ancestor correct and to surprise my Dad with it. I don't need any unwanted hassle for my Dad or myself, it's not worth it.

Thanks again everybody for your help and comments everybody:thumbsup:

heck government or not if you show them to some rather unscrupulous museum's they will try their best to keep anything of interest...

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
M

MAN "O" WAR

Greenie
Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be careful who you ask about this. A set of binoculars were recovered there in the 70s, and things didn't go well for them:
Business | Binoculars Taken From Custer Site Are Recovered | Seattle Times Newspaper

Here is a recent survey done there by Archaeologists and detectorist volunteers, an interesting writeup:

http://www.friendslittlebighorn.com/2004scottfinalreport.pdf

Good luck on your search!

Wayne

I'm aware of that situation that happened and that sucks for that guy for sure. The difference is that our binoculars was taken from the battlefield by a participant long before it was a national monument. I have the case as well as the binoculars that obviously haven't spent time buried in the ground.

Thanks for the link of the survey.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Anybody else here read Nathaniel Philbrick's book on Custer's last battle? Lots of good info, interesting and well written.

I'll have to look into that one Junkshop.I think I have or have read every book written on the subject except the book you posted.One of the best ones is "Son of Morning star" by Evan S. Connell,another good one is "Killing Custer" by James Welch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread