jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A growing sense of urgency is prompting biologists to use experimental treatments to kill a likely cause of white-nose syndrome, an affliction that has reached crisis level for the state's cave-dwelling bats.

Mounting deaths have forced researchers to act, despite the fact that studies of the syndrome's cause and treatments are not complete, said DeeAnn Reeder, assistant professor of biology at Bucknell University.

"There's this pressure to do something, even if it's not the right thing," she said.

Reeder and Greg Turner, a biologist for Pennsylvania Game Commission, are treating bats in Bucks County with two anti-fungal agents, Terbinafine, found in athlete's foot treatments, and a natural compound administered in vapor form they declined to identify, referring to it only as "Agent C."

"It's fairly readily available," Turner said. "We don't want anyone to know what it is and self-treat."

http://republicanherald.com/news/bi...-in-batswhite-nose-syndrome-timeline-1.621192

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When they are done with that they can work on a treatment for brown nose syndrome. I know several that need to find a cure.

On a serious note. I hope they can find a cure. Bats eat a lot of pesky bugs. :icon_thumright:

S

stefen

DigginThePast said:
When they are done with that they can work on a treatment for brown nose syndrome. I know several that need to find a cure.

:thumbsup:

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I hope this has results. The loss of bats from an ecosystem can be incredibly disastrous. What other creature can eat more than its weight in annoying bugs every night?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions