Birch Pitch Recipe

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky
I've had an overwhelming response from people wanting to know how to make Birch Pitch (Paleo Glue).

There are several ways to make it, but I've found the one I've experimented with to be the easiest. Any tree that produces clumpy sap nodules when injured can be used to make Pitch. Evergreens and Birch are the easiest since their sap is thick and very sticky.

First things first ..... Never make pitch indoors as the fumes can be flammable. Also, your wife will kill you if you use her good pots to make it, so go buy a cheap $5 set from Wal-Mart. The cheap aluminum will do since you are going to be mucking it up anyway.

The three ingredients you will need are ....

1) Birch or Evergreen Sap
2) Black coal from a burned log or charcoal will work in a pinch
3) Dried and ground plant matter. I have found grass clippings completely dried and ground to a powder with a mortar and pestle to work best. In the wilderness you could use dried deer dung or any other herbivore dung for this ingredient.

Now all you have to do is liquify the Sap under a low heat such as the edge of a campfire or gas grill set on low. Only increase heat at small increments. Never set it on high to start or you will have a small fire or smoke out the neighborhood. Be patient ! It takes sometimes up to 5 minutes to liquify sap, and sometimes longer if the weather is colder. Only increase the heat if you've waited an ample amount of time, and the sap hasn't started to liquify. Do not get it too hot. It could catch fire or turn to soot depending on the type of sap you are using.

Next, after the sap has liquified, dump in your crushed coal and plant matter. Stir vigorously until it has a consistency of peanut butter. When it has the right consistency remove it from the heat, and clump it into small balls.

You will find that once it is removed from the heat it hardens very quickly. Don't worry !!! All you have to do to reuse it is to reheat the small amount you need.

The ratio for the ingredients are around 5 parts sap - 1 to 2 parts coal - 1 to 2 parts organic matter.

It's a fun experiment to try, and you can make glue the Native American Way! :thumbsup: You can fletch arrows, repair leaks in water vessels, or affix blades to knife handles.

Any questions?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread