New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to that dried up pond in the woods yesterday after I took care of some chores around the house. I started into the woods and discovered my coil wasn't reading/battery dead. I went back to the car and hooked up the charger then drove around the immediate area looking at woods for other spots. I spotted another area I might try today. I killed 45 minutes charging, them went back, started in and noticed it still was not charged. I just went home at that point and hooked it up at the house. I swear I had it hooked up right in the car? It charged at the house and I finally got to detect but only had about an hour to do it.

Sorry about the long dissertation, just wondered if anyone else ever had this problem with there XP Deus?

So I run through the area I found the Merc's, nothing, I start working down the one side closer to where the bank would have been when I get a screaming loud signal that did not sound like a can. The numbers were staying close (93-94) I'm thinking it was sounding like silver so dug a big plug around it in case it was a Morgan and was trying to be careful when out pops this big bird band. I figured it had to be for a goose. I had found a bird band about a year ago and found out it was a Black Duck. I was busy last night, got home and found the website to report the band and found out it was an Osprey Hawk that was banded in area about twenty miles from where I found it on 7/3/2004 when the hawk was still so young it could not fly. Like the Black Duck they will send me a certificate with all the pertinent info on it.

Enjoy the pix
HH & GL
Brad

20151121_143708.jpg 20151121_143653.jpg

Upvote 14

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. Looks like the poor bird suffered an early demise. Seems they have a 20 to 25 year life span in the wild.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really cool nice find
Thanks

Cool find. Looks like the poor bird suffered an early demise. Seems they have a 20 to 25 year life span in the wild.

Thanks, I'm thinking I might get a follow up call on this one, there were some bones in the area, thinking back, just, at the time was in a speed hunt against time. I didn't have time to process that CSR possibility. I have found hawks in the past, pheasant hunting where some trigger happy bird hunter didn't know his or her target.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reported a couple of bands myself. Not had the Deus issue you are talking about, but then I never car charge it.

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks

Thanks, I'm thinking I might get a follow up call on this one, there were some bones in the area, thinking back, just, at the time was in a speed hunt against time. I didn't have time to process that CSR possibility. I have found hawks in the past, pheasant hunting where some trigger happy bird hunter didn't know his or her target.

It would be bad enough if it met it's end due to negligence. I know that around my parts there are a lot of red tailed hawks. I love to watch them hunt, but certain hunters in the area will attempt to kill them if they think they might get away with it. They feel there is too much competition for the small game.....rabbits, squirrels and such.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bird bands are very nice finds, especially when you take the time to call them in & you can get the certificate with all the info on it. I have bands from 2 geese & a pigeon. I was able to track the owner of the pigeon, thru a pigeon racing club. When I got in contact with him, he just said to keep the band. They lose their birds from time to time. He was appreciative that I took the time to call as it was over 3 yrs. since that bird went missing.

IndianaHunter27

Oct 28, 2015
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a truly awesome find, never heard of anyone else finding on of those,

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like the Detecting Gods were telling you to take the day off. That's a cool find, I hope to dig one someday.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey treble,
That's a pretty cool find.
I have found racing pigeon bands, (Homers), but never a band from a bird of prey.
Sorry to hear about your problems with the Deus.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found a small bird band myself, at least i believe thats what it is. Can you post where you go to try and track them down? Im thinking it might be a pigeon one as well from the size... But i have no idea on these. I did find a plastic one once with the poor birds leg bone still in it. That was on top of leaves up against a tree while hunting arrowheads...

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be bad enough if it met it's end due to negligence. I know that around my parts there are a lot of red tailed hawks. I love to watch them hunt, but certain hunters in the area will attempt to kill them if they think they might get away with it. They feel there is too much competition for the small game.....rabbits, squirrels and such.

Ignorant people, same people fill their freezers and throw it all away a year later. Game hogs.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bird bands are very nice finds, especially when you take the time to call them in & you can get the certificate with all the info on it. I have bands from 2 geese & a pigeon. I was able to track the owner of the pigeon, thru a pigeon racing club. When I got in contact with him, he just said to keep the band. They lose their birds from time to time. He was appreciative that I took the time to call as it was over 3 yrs. since that bird went missing.
Interesting, thanks.

That is a truly awesome find, never heard of anyone else finding on of those,
Thanks

Good job on the bird band
Thanks Tex

Sounds like the Detecting Gods were telling you to take the day off. That's a cool find, I hope to dig one someday.
I'd have to go through withdrawal if I didn't detect a day.

Hey treble,
That's a pretty cool find.
I have found racing pigeon bands, (Homers), but never a band from a bird of prey.
Sorry to hear about your problems with the Deus.
I'm sure with the Deus, I probably had it incorrectly hook up to the charger.

I just found a small bird band myself, at least i believe thats what it is. Can you post where you go to try and track them down? Im thinking it might be a pigeon one as well from the size... But i have no idea on these. I did find a plastic one once with the poor birds leg bone still in it. That was on top of leaves up against a tree while hunting arrowheads...
Thanks
If it is federal bird band this site will work for you. Pigeons are a different story, their bands are not federal.
https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBL/bblretrv/

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ITS NOT PERDUE . BUT A MIKE TYSON PIDGEON OVEN ROASTER STUFFER BIRD BAND ...

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The problem you described with the Deus was one of the factors I decided against buying one...too many things to charge. I think that's neat they give you all the info on the bird.

omegared31

Mar 12, 2015
Temperance, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one back in March of this year and went to the webpage and filled out the forum and this is what they sent me. Good find on the band C_of_A_0841-29803_1843667-page-001.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions