Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
This is one of those "I almost threw it out" finds. When I looked closely at it this evening I knew immediately what I had found. It says:

WRITE F&W SERV.
582-51818
WASHINGTON D.C. USA

It is an old bird band used by the Fish & Wildlife Service. There is a website run by the USGS which you can enter the data in to find the species of the bird that once wore this band, as well as where and when the bird was banded. Apparently this band is older than the database covers. I got an email saying that it may take some time to research the information on the bird this came from. In exchange for providing the data to the USGS, a certificate of appreciation is being sent showing all the information on the bird. :icon_sunny:

9/16 Update: See my reply below

Attachments

• 2008_0911Image0001.JPG
    2008_0911Image0001.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,095
Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I found mine I started to toss it as it looked like an old piece of scrap metal from some kind of electrical connection. Only after I cleaned it up did I discover what I had. Monty

ramfan

May 30, 2008
Myrtle Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett F250/F150
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wit a nice pic that certificate looks suitable fro framing, or at least scrapbook material. Great find and even better story. History.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find and congrats on the certificate. The European starling has become a pest in the last century brought over on ships from Europe. They can be found in great numbers in every 48 states. They are adaptors to their environment

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, I dug one just like that a couple years ago. I called it in and gave them all the info, location and so on. They sent me a certificate as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread