Bird point and geo fact

nickcoin

Feb 10, 2013
This is a repost. New here and posted in the wrong area and it was suggested that i move it.

Checking in from Richmond VA. Recent finds from a plowed field. In both fields where the bird point was found the white quarts really stood out. I'm unsure about what I'm calling a stone hammer. The field where this was found is 99% angular smoky quarts and small amounts of white and crystal clear. This stone is very smooth and feels sort of, for the lack of a better description, oiled. I'm on the fence if this is an artifact. I would welcome
some opinions.

Attachments

• image-607791373.jpg
    image-607791373.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 122
  • image-279959763.jpg
    image-279959763.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 121
  • image-326983525.jpg
    image-326983525.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 125
  • image-4235417577.jpg
    image-4235417577.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 118
  • image-2180177578.jpg
    image-2180177578.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 129
Upvote 0
OP
OP
nickcoin

nickcoin

Feb 10, 2013
Twitch said:
Nick - welcome to the site and good to see another Richmond hunter out there. I think your point is a resharpened stemmed point that probably predates the bow and arrow. More likely is that it's an atl-atl dart point that resharpened down to the nub. Cool find.

Joe

Thanks joe. Resharpened stem point? Cool. It couldn't have been much longer, right? Half again as long maybe?

OP
OP
nickcoin

nickcoin

Feb 10, 2013
GTK96 said:
Down around Yorktown, specifically Tabb if that rings a bell at all

I know Yorktown for sure. Been there several times. Sea kayaking, working and visiting friends. Never heard of Tabb

OP
OP
nickcoin

nickcoin

Feb 10, 2013
rock said:
On the point, do you have Hardaway's in your area? Looks like a worn down one.

Rock. I'm very new to this. Not sure about the Hardaway. I'm going to look it up though. Thanks.

OP
OP
nickcoin

nickcoin

Feb 10, 2013
nickcoin said:
Rock. I'm very new to this. Not sure about the Hardaway. I'm going to look it up though. Thanks.

Just looked it up and see why you asked about that. It does look similar. That's old.

GTK96

Jul 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
nickcoin said:
I know Yorktown for sure. Been there several times. Sea kayaking, working and visiting friends. Never heard of Tabb

I've heard of guys sea kayaking...and Tabb is just down the road from Yorktown, probably 10 minutes away
Also, I'm only 16....hahaha

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some of my bird points...and one that is similar to yours wide base little point..in my opinion I think they broke them and then resharpened into either a scraper or smaller point

ForumRunner_20130217_075912.png

ForumRunner_20130217_075935.png

ForumRunner_20130217_075952.png

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like your on a good start. I do not agree with the term ''Bird Point'', the smaller points that a lot are calling ''Bird Points'' are actually ''Bow and Arrow'' pojectile points. These small points, when hafted to the arrow shaft are very capable of killing deer and elk, and even buffalo. Thousands of these smaller points have been found with the skeletons of buffalo that were killed in hundreds of Buffalo Jumps (Pishkun's). Birds were caught in traps (nets), or killed with rocks.

yes dennis
i have never understood the term 'bird point' either
the arrow points were used for just what you say
they might have been used for turkeys but that is all i can think

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes dennis
i have never understood the term 'bird point' either
the arrow points were used for just what you say
they might have been used for turkeys but that is all i can think

Idk where the term came from or why..but when I use it or when I hear another use the term I automatically assume its a younger, smaller in nature, size point. Used for a bow and arrow

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idk where the term came from or why..but when I use it or when I hear another use the term I automatically assume its a younger, smaller in nature, size point. Used for a bow and arrow

I don't think the term or the point has anything to do with the killing of birds...how do any of these points get there names anyway

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually from the place they were first documented. Or in some cases collector jargon that stuck

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other

yup gris, i think like you do also, i don't ever say 'bird point' however....and please do't think i am saying something about your avatar name, i like it

I don't think the term or the point has anything to do with the killing of birds...how do any of these points get there names anyway

i agree

Usually from the place they were first documented. Or in some cases collector jargon that stuck

yes maybe a county or town or area or region or name of a person that found them or?? i can't really think of anything else
i don't know very many point types since what i have is all just a few types, maybe a dozen or so

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup gris, i think like you do also, i don't ever say 'bird point' however....and please do't think i am saying something about your avatar name, i like it

i agree

yes maybe a county or town or area or region or name of a person that found them or?? i can't really think of anything else
i don't know very many point types since what i have is all just a few types, maybe a dozen or so

Ohhhh not at all buddy its funny I don't even remember where I learned that term from...but I do use it, and they are some of my favorite finds bc they are so hard to find do to there size

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a expert tell me that most points with names were larger and most of the small points dont have names so they call them Bird points.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Thanks joe. Resharpened stem point? Cool. It couldn't have been much longer, right? Half again as long maybe?
It could have been a fair bit longer, maybe twice the current length, maybe a little less, maybe a little more. If I'm guessing (which I am) I'd say probably more in the half again as large, as you said.

OP
OP
nickcoin

nickcoin

Feb 10, 2013
Thanks for the help. I really appreciate yours and everyone's help! I've learned a lot on my first post and I think it speaks volumes about the people on here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread