monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to have a little bit of the big C removed today so I'm grounded from work for a few days. So I thought I would show a few bird points( which most of us know that is not what they were used on). I would like to hear you thoughts on the bird point idea and to me a bird point will fit on a nickel. The ones that I'm posting comes from all over NM, MS, LA, OR, WA and ND. I would love to have one from each state but that would take me some time. So lets hear your theory on Bird points and here is mine. I think they were used on small reed or cane to spear smaller game like fish, toads and snakes. Post photos if you have some . Bird point group.jpg

Upvote 0

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area we are known for having a large population of wild birds, with over 300 recorded species in some places, including huge turkeys, quail, doves and so forth. I have no doubt that the Natives would have used arrows to hunt wild turkey and probably quail as well. That said, bird points were probably used to hunt birds here in Southern AZ, where there is little water in comparison to most other areas in the US. They probably were not made specifically for birds, though. Any small game would be more likely, since many Native American tribes were hunter/gatherers, collecting any resource they came across. A bird point could easily kill a person, as well.

Wild Turkey Chiricahua Mountains Arizona 2017.jpg

Saw this girl, and many more just like her, two days ago.

Last edited:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
They have found bird points up the wazoo on buffalo kill sites up our way.
Not saying it wasn't a means by such they killed a bird on occasion, but Personally, I think they had better ways to get birds than fling arrows at them.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Quito is spot on, they are documented on bison kill sites. It might have taken 3 or 10 shots, but get a couple shots in the lungs and it's only a question of time before they had meat for dinner.

I also think they were used on small game and people if necessary. Some were probably little knives when needed.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Testing has been done on deer carcasses using bird points mounted to arrow shafts in the traditional manner by modern archers and these tiny points have been shown to have been lethal on large game. In the Southeast they common finds in the Mississippian Mound Builder sites. The bow is said to be a more recent invention amongst the Native Americans, and the arrows required a smaller projectile than what was needed for an atl-atl. Here is a link to a test done using these points - Warning - some may find this offensive and the post mortem autopsy leaves nothing to the imagination. &

Last edited:

Tkaz

Dec 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to have a little bit of the big C removed today so I'm grounded from work for a few days. So I thought I would show a few bird points( which most of us know that is not what they were used on). I would like to hear you thoughts on the bird point idea and to me a bird point will fit on a nickel. The ones that I'm posting comes from all over NM, MS, LA, OR, WA and ND. I would love to have one from each state but that would take me some time. So lets hear your theory on Bird points and here is mine. I think they were used on small reed or cane to spear smaller game like fish, toads and snakes. Post photos if you have some . View attachment 1471599
I'll raise you 5cent. Found that little gem while cultipacking a food plot. Couldn't believe it caught my eyes. 1499920752958.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Attachments

• 1499920413251.jpeg
    1499920413251.jpeg
    506 KB · Views: 88

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent video....I always figured for birds, that you wouldn't need a stone point at all, just a sharpened shaft ??
Awesome points monsterrack

Here's one I found...

Attachments

• teeny.jpg
    teeny.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 71

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice points I'm sure bird points/arrow points were used for everything. All one site N.California from private property.

Attachments

• PC120058.JPG
    PC120058.JPG
    565.6 KB · Views: 111

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20170713_175422.jpg
20170713_175439.jpg
This is the only one I have and it was given to me by a friend years ago who has since passed. I had it mounted into this sterling cabochan setting.

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Southeastern U.S. (Georgia)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to have a little bit of the big C removed today so I'm grounded from work for a few days. So I thought I would show a few bird points( which most of us know that is not what they were used on). I would like to hear you thoughts on the bird point idea and to me a bird point will fit on a nickel. The ones that I'm posting comes from all over NM, MS, LA, OR, WA and ND. I would love to have one from each state but that would take me some time. So lets hear your theory on Bird points and here is mine. I think they were used on small reed or cane to spear smaller game like fish, toads and snakes. Post photos if you have some . View attachment 1471599

"Bird Point" is a term coined by modern man. Research has shown that points of every size were used for larger animals, but it has been deduced that smaller points were used for smaller game. They were also fashioned as smaller knives when needed, just as we do today. It takes less force for a small, sharp point to penetrate (due to surface area) than a large one, although tissue damage may not be as devastating. I have read the argument that the smaller points were more accurate at longer distances, and that's very interesting as well. They could hold a trajectory much better, if the theory of ballistic coefficients apply to arrows or darts.

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live near the Dickson Mounds state museum in central Illinois and the Morton archeological cemetery a mile and a half northeast of the museum contains many skeletal remains with Madison style bird points imbedded in their skeletal remains. These small bird points were also used on other larger animals as so many other archeological investigations demonstrate
P.S. Monsterrack, you got an Illinois bird point in your states collection???
Also if you don't already have it, you would enjoy reading the "Prehistoric American" volume 38, #3,2004, that focuses on bows and arrows found in archeological contexts in the last 100 years or so.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I've found a few but obviously I really don't have a clue as I always called them "bird shot" Lol! :laughing7:
Hope you're feeling well monsterrack and back to work.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
bird point = white mans definition of a small arrow head.

Thoughts and prayers for a quick and complete recovery monsterrack.

sweetmimzim3

May 16, 2011
Webster Co. Missouri
20170719_071029.jpg
This is my only bird point,and it's missing the tip.I found iton a nearby cave floor. There was a sifting screen there and I found it in my first scoop.I haven't been back to that cave because I have to cross the river to get there. Plus it looked like a perfect haven for mountain lions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread