Birds attracted to you while detecting!

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
The early bird gets the worm! How true. Ricardo's post about ants got me thinking about the many times while detecting in the parks the minute I went down on my knee(s) to dig a signal birds would appear near me, singly and a few at a time. Then when I saw the wriggling worms in the pile of dirt I deposited on the side of the hole and I understood. But how do they know that you are going to dig and that your digging may produce worms?

Sometimes I felt bad when I saw that my cutting a plug revealed a sliced a worm. And sometimes if there was a bird near me watching me I would throw it one of the worm sections which it would approach and grab with its beak and I swear I heard a faint "Thank you"!

Silver Fox

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
birds are not stupid,they hang around anywhere the ground is being distubed. to them were just another animal.they follow all large animals .as anything big kills or wounds many more insects than u know.just by walking

Evolx10

Dec 20, 2007
Bronx - NY
Detector(s) used
DFX-300, M6
Birds tail me all the time in the forest, just from me swinging my coil under the leaves will kick up bugs that the Tow-hee's love to munch on.

Imagine the flock of birds that follows my crew at work as we plow down overgrown lots in the Bronx.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad I am not the only one that is for the birds..... Fish follow me in the water too for the food I stir up by digging. You have to be careful too as I once brought home a small fish that got caught in my pouch an rotted in my car trunk. Took me awhile to find that smell.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MD Dog said:
It's not the adult birds that bother me, it's all the chicks that follow and harass me, that cause me the problems. ;D

Wish I had your problem...lol
Al

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD: you posted -->

it's all the chicks that follow and harass me
~~~~~~~~~~~~

How come I can't get the chicks to follow me? sniff Not even with the offer of lunch, they just sorta giggle and go away.

Don Jose de La Mancha (the lonesome dectortist)

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD Dog.. I dam near spitted all over my screen.. LMDAO you sir are pisser... oh hell that was so funny :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Apr 27, 2008
rhode island
Detector(s) used
titan 1000 xd
i haven't seen too many birds around me while detecting, but my cat follows me all the time in my yard... he is annoying. always tries to sit in the holes i'm digging.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scrounger said:
birds are not stupid,they hang around anywhere the ground is being distubed.
to them were just another animal.they follow all large animals .as anything big kills or wounds
many more insects than u know.just by walking

It's also like a group of MD'ers following a huge front-end loader that's
tearing up a 100-year-old street & sidewalk right-of-way :wink: :D

Evolx10

Dec 20, 2007
Bronx - NY
Detector(s) used
DFX-300, M6
MD Dog said:
It's not the adult birds that bother me, it's all the chicks that follow and harass me, that cause me the problems. ;D

well i had that problem but i solved it by accidentally stepping on and killing a turkey chick, I think it made the headlines of The Avian Post
now all i have is vultures circling above me.

Evolx10

Dec 20, 2007
Bronx - NY
Detector(s) used
DFX-300, M6
watercolor said:
scrounger said:
birds are not stupid,they hang around anywhere the ground is being distubed.
to them were just another animal.they follow all large animals .as anything big kills or wounds
many more insects than u know.just by walking

It's also like a group of MD'ers following a huge front-end loader that's
tearing up a 100-year-old street & sidewalk right-of-way :wink: :D

nice .. The hierarchy of life, (ascending order) Birds, MD'ers, FEL's, Dump Trucks, Fill Yards, Md'ers, Security Guards :tard:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real de Tayopa said:
MD: you posted -->

it's all the chicks that follow and harass me
~~~~~~~~~~~~

How come I can't get the chicks to follow me? sniff Not even with the offer of lunch, they just sorta giggle and go away.

Don Jose de La Mancha (the lonesome dectortist)

Gotta have a big worm to catch the chicks ::)

The only birds that follow me are the darned mockingbirds with a nest in the tree and wanna dive bomb me till I move to the other side of the park.

inneedoftherapy

Feb 29, 2008
Between the cornrows, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Here on the farm my metal detecting buddy is a cat who lays near each hole and a chicken who follows me everywhere waiting for that plug to come out. Then she swoops in and gets her goodies she never tires of this but sometimes I do need to shoo her away as she sometimes likes to jump into the hole and start a scratching just in case she missed anything.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had birds pull the plugs open after I filled them. Had to go back to a field once and fill about 13 holes. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread