38 degrees.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 329
  • whats left.jpg
    whats left.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 336
P

pippinwhitepaws

cool... :thumbsup:

i have never seen a covered bridge...only in photos...

thanks.

OP
OP
kiddrock33

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
i believe the siding is white cedar, from washington state. im not sure why they place roofs over them.it was the bolt's that needed to be replaced over 3000 some were four feet long. we needed to remove siding to get to bolts and replace all the floor and trusses. i believe this is the longest and widest covered bridge in massachusetts. and possibly the only one you can drive across. my company just finished a small one east of here. this is our second covered bridge. i believe there are about 9 covered bridges in mass. all needed repair. i remember one fridgid mourning saying when they start building bridges indoors ill be the first in line to work there. one picture i posted is a heater in our outhouse it says its 38 degrees. but that was after the heater was on. it was more like -10 degrees. days like them and our boss was quite mad we put that heater in there while, he would leave to go to town to use a toilet in town. its always a race to see who can be the first one to drive over a new bridge. i made it this time.

Attachments

• first one over.jpg
    first one over.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 264

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great pictures Kiddrock33. Thanks for posting.

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Hello, kiddrock33,

Wow, good job. I've done a lot of pole barns, but nothing ever as heavy duty as your bridge. That would be an interresting job to work on. That is neat the way the crane is set up inside to handle the heavy stuff. On those girder floor trusses, that looks like quite a span between them. What centers are they set on? And, that is a beautiful area
to work in. Thanks for sharing.

Have a good day.

Ray

OP
OP
kiddrock33

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
not sure of the span in between joists but the bridge span in width is two lanes about 25 feet by 100. it was very interesting . i believe its on the national historic register. my boss disigned the crane which worked very well. if you notice my patner is a perfect balance the end deck beam 's are not centered for lifting. so he acts as a counterbalance.

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Yup, I noticed that counter balance as soon as I saw the pic. Been there done that with a boom crane.

Ray

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice photos. That old bridge brings warmth to my heart. And it makes you wonder why they couldn't wait till spring to work on it--you know--warm weather.

SKD

OP
OP
kiddrock33

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
well we need to eat all year long. we dont get sick days ,or paid holidays, if we dont work we dont get paid. besides that work is scarce here in the berkshire hills. you can see there isnt much work by looking at this picture i sure hope the boss sees these guys. ha ha ha.

Attachments

• not doing anything.jpg
    not doing anything.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 125
OP
OP
kiddrock33

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
first car over the bridge is like walking on the moon first. hey karenray check out my plate. look familar brother .

Attachments

• moon walk.jpg
    moon walk.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 123

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread