Last edited:
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminder no links to competing forums. You can post story if you wish but not links..

OP
OP
DDancer

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been picking around the Zero Volt Transmission, ZVT, that is supposed to be the new platform for this detector. Not getting much anywhere with it aside from a lot of technical papers on ZV switching for pulse modulation of power supplies. I can kind of see where this may be useful for PI detectors however I'm at a loss as to what it'll actually do that's any improvement on the current designs. Anyone else looking at this?

Sorry TreasureHunter. I knew going into this thread I was pulling outside the box. Thanks for the patience I really just want to get this topic on the radar.

Funny how the ozzies got there first ;)

Last edited:

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a theory fresh from my "cracked pot".

I watch used detectors on Craigslist, various forums and eBay pretty closely. Used Minelab Pulse Induction detectors just aren't selling. You can get practically new GPX-5000 Pro kits with three coils for $3000 and change. Suggested Retail over $7k. I paid $2900 for my SDC-2300 which has a MAP (minimum advertised price) of $3,750 and a suggested retail of $4,875!

The price of gold is off it's $1900 highs and struggling not to sink to the $1100 range.

lots of enthusiasts bought $5-$6k detectors and found nothing. The SDC-2300 is supposed to fix that by finding all the tiny stuff that the others missed.

i suspect that Minelab has realized that $6k detectors are dead in today's environment.

If the ZVT technology means this new detector can do almost everything that the SDC can plus most of everything that the GPX-5000 can, then normal Minelab logic would be that it ought to cost more than the GPX. But that is too much for the traffic to bear and to generate the kind of chash flow that ML needs.

my crackpot prediction is that the super gold detector will have a minimum advertised price of $5,795, the same as the GPX. It might even be $4,795.

performance will be billed as the "goldilocks" gold detector. As easy to as as the SDC and nearly as powerful as the GPX. The GPX will remain in the lineup but the deep discounting of it which we have seen over thE last month or so will go away.

next theory?

OP
OP
DDancer

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It'll cost what it costs Rick. People will pay what they are willing to pay as well. *shrugs* Thing is this new magic wand is not being billed under the same bread and butter tech that ML's been working with for years. Granted what little is known is generating some hype and people, here and in other places, are well aware of it~ and pretty much ignoring it. One can whinge about the cost/s all day long but in the end its the curiosity as to whether ML's figured something out that'll turn the trick of nabbing the good stuff a little easier. Or at least make it a bit more entertaining :)

So it looks like it'll come out with a 14"DD. I hope its not fixed like the SDC. Its an open face coil~ don't like that much but its nothing I cant seal.

A color LCD display~ one wonders what your going to be looking at as all ML's stuff pretty much just rings at you. Be nice if an idea I had long ago was there....
a signal graph with a baseline showing ground settings. Wonder if they will remember the backlight or if its an Oleo... Probably still be a pain to see in sunlight.

GPS? hrm the file sharing software would be good for marking patches and trends.... but I think someone's probably gone stupid and made that type of software proprietary so you cant use it with other maping tools.

Audio responses~ not much to select there and the SDC has already proven people are going to want some sort of control. Maybe they swiped Garrets Bell tones? :)

Lots of things to poke around with but I'm still more interested in the ZVT just now. Being water proof and looking at the design I'm inclined to think its a beach machine ;) But then deserts are just big beaches sans water and more interesting wild life.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The accidently leaked information may not correspond to the real specs, but two things stood out for me. First, it is all metal - no discrimination, so,the holy grail of a mineralization and hot rock ignoring discriminating detector is still lost in the "mists of Avalon". Second, it says only "waterproof coil". Maybe they got tired of fixing leaky CTX's.

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
$7k, Holy crap batman. But it may be worth it. I would wait on reports on this. Was told all year gold would be $2500 by years end from gold advertisers. Unless something happens in the next week and a half..., get yer detectors now while the price of gold is low.

OP
OP
DDancer

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All Metal does not necessarily mean no discrimination :) The operator discriminates all the time :P Hehh I walked over a 5oz nugget because I thought it was a can. To date all the PI's pretty much rely on the operator to listen to the tones of their targets. None that I know of give you feedback about the signals themselves or where the machine is sitting for its balance while operating. Without really knowing what the ZVT does I gotta wonder if some more information is going to occur~ or whether the incorporation of a screen is just another bell and whistle. I guess I'm the only one who likes to dream *sighs* but there are some fun ideas to play with here so I'll keep at it till the debute.

cobill

Jul 24, 2007
Laporte, CO
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 6000 and 5000, EQ-800, AQ Limited, GBII, AT PRO, Keene 3" 2 1/2" ,2" and Dahlke 4" dredge.
Well I had my GPX-5000 "Super Package" for sale, pulled it off the market today after talking to my ML dealer and reading this quote:
" Hi Boys.

It is my opinion that there is a new plan happening.

No they didn't stuff up, this is planned, their new strategy of slow information leakage to excite the public.
I think it is the Yanky influence on the staff coming out.

The detector won't be long before its release, but if you a hoping for the big flag ship one you will be disappointed.
You will be waiting at least another 12 months for that, if at all. I here that it is very complicated to operate and there is big GB problems presently.

This one is actually the mid range model spoken of, forget the SDC 2300, that was just to counter Garrett's latest.

I have it on very good authority that the one coming out does not outdo the 5000 for depth, so why buy one just to have the bragging rights. It will cost you heaps at the start, I heard not far off the GPX5000 price while sales are hot. ???

You are right Doug, it's just like a 3030 with a revised 5000 board and only a few timings, It is easy to use for new comers to detecting and has that space age appearance. And it looks like an 18"in coil will be on the cards too."

Regards to all Alluvium.

I'm gonna wait to see how this one rolls out before gambling on the next best thing!

Bill

Last edited:

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
How does the GPX 5000 stack up to the new Nokta Fors Gold detector?. I'll have to get ahold of G.W. and go out to compare. Did take my Fors out for an hour before rains came. Only found 22 shell about 6" and a larger piece of metal 13" down in general mode. I was impressed by its depth. Taking it to a job in Coloma where the customer has 16 acres by the S. fork American. If things work out with the job he says I can detect his property.

OP
OP
DDancer

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hrm, read it once now :) Processing.... processing... processing.... Thanks for the link.

GoldCTX

Nov 26, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
GPX-4500
CTX-3030
Macro Gold Racer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
etdigger… Wow!!! Quite a Find! Giving it a quick read through…. if I am understanding it correctly…. Look's like this thing… isn't designed to use any of our existing MD Coils Mono Or, DD Coils… with two Emitting Coils and One receiving Coil! > This is all new technology that emits "Rectangular Waves". A Multi-Voltage & Muilt-Timed Tripple-D coil?

Thank you for sharing !!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
DDancer

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct about the coils that the patent alludes too however the wave form is typical for a PI. I'll go along with three coils, TX, TX with null *reverse phasing* and RX coil. I'm still putting things together however the twist I'm seeing is the play their using between the primary TX coil and the second that uses what looks like nullification. The receive coil is still subject to the EMI affects of the transmitters but the math between the three looks like it overcomes the fatal flaw of conventional PI's~ they just cant get quite, the eddy currents in the coils from the TX pulse dying out, fast enough when in receiving mode to pick up small short lived signals from small targets or diffuse targets.
It also appears to me that the method may overcome the ground signal as well which would result in greater target recognition for deeper smaller targets.

I'm still thinking on it. It is rather hard to read~ but then one has to fully understand the "art" and I'm painting with water colors ;)

GoldCTX

Nov 26, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
GPX-4500
CTX-3030
Macro Gold Racer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DDancer > Yes in deed…. there are a million of ways to work that framework that they have outlined in their Patent… The real magic will be in the software/firmware that it will be using with it. Yes I agree… 2D color imaging like on the CTX-3030 as well as Ferrous & Non-Ferrous #ID, depth data & multiple audio tones . The key to make this GPZ a must have…. is the ability to punch deeper than the GPX & ID the target ~ and with that powerful triad TX design it could serously do that. As for EMI… there are plenty of ways to deal with that using both software & hardware… Nicolas Tesla is probably rolling over in his grave right now.

Looking at their conceptual flow charts is one thing…. but after seeing where they seem to be going with this… now I am more curious on their hardware design & positioning of the Emitters in the coil device itself. = Circular or, Linear Polarity?

The sad thing is My GPX-4500 is running so sweet right now with the new PM Coils Scarab 18x14 IDL multiple field coil, and TI filter from Woody at Detectormods….It's like a new Machine its so quiet even working up at 7000 feet no more Aircraft Altimeter noise and other TI even around power lines! But regardless, the truth is… If this GPZ-7000 allows me to dig less junk and get more gold that other detectors can't see = "That…. is a real game changer." Then, at that point… the GPX will be another addition into my ever expanding Post-Hightech Museum.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing that has me stumped is the "possible " comment from Minelab that this is a mediocre release and something far, far better is coming in another year. Hype? Promise?

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Minelab you are referring to is an anonymous posters adopted user name. It was not a statement from Minelab the company.

Minelab for two years has said the new "Super Gold Detector" would be released in 2015. The SDC 2300 mid-range unit was also promised and has already been delivered. There is no reason to think the next thing you see from Minelab will not be the new flagship gold detector.

OP
OP
DDancer

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just flipping the thread up with a minor update. It appears Minelab is holding out its introduction till sometime in March this year. I gotta wonder how that'll impact the gold season down under :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread