bizarre magnetic silver ring found

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Anybody else ever encounter anything like this?

I found this ring last week.? It is marked '.925 Thailand'.? I did a density test on it and it falls in at 10.37, definitely in the range for solid sterling silver.

It appears to have been plated; some of the plating is wearing off.? Silver is often plated with rhodium to prevent tarnish.

The wierd thing about this ring is that a strong magnet will pick it up.

Silver is most often alloyed with copper (92.5% Ag : 7.5% Cu) to make Sterling.? I am wondering if nickel might have been substituted for copper in making this ring.? (Pure nickel is magnetic, as are iron and cobalt.)? ? But a U.S. Nickel is 25% nickel and 75% copper-- and my magnet won't pick it up.

Anybody know anything about alloys?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lab rat

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Lab Rat, I missed your post about density testing. That would be great if you could simply send it to my message box.

T

Tuckernotis

LabRat
You have bigger problems than that if your shoppong at K-Mart and Wal-Mart for jewelry for your wife. ;) The thought was in the right place but save up a little and go get the good stuff.

Anywho, most likely explanation is that it's conterfeit. Thailand is not known for it's fine upstanding manufacturering, import/export businesses.

kc in wv

Greenie
Sep 5, 2004
;D Why go take it back go to a lawyer and sue them for false advertisement ;D
just jokin

lab rat said:
Hi, freeav8r.? Uh, oh... I think I'd go back to the store manager at Wal-Mart, show them the magnetic silver, and ask for a refund, or at least an explanation.? See what their opinion is, and how they work around it.? Do they offer any kind of guarantee?? Did you do a density test?

I have found silver-plated iron jewelry before, but it usually is obvious because the plating is peeling off the rusty spots.? This ring is different, however-- no rust, even though it is obvious that plating is wearing off.

Rich in Houston

Nov 30, 2003
Houston,Katy TX.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro UMax, Cortez & Tejon, Fisher CZ20,
Garrett GTA 1000, AT Pro & AT Max. Minelab Equanox600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
People use different kinds of metal and magnets for therapy. helps the aches and pains of the body like copper and other metals

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread