Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I don't usually post my finds, but this last two day hunt brought up such an array of items I thought I would post.

These finds are in Europe, at a site I have had great luck with before, but involves a lot of travel to get to. There was a lot of activity
at this site up to the 1920s, and then the structure was demolished.

The temp was between 0 and 3 degrees, and I have just started sneezing, so won't go back til Friday, weather and tide permitting.

First off the concretions. Four of the items in the group photo came out of these !
DSC00669.JPG

Next is the junk-
DSC00680.JPG

Its kind of weird because both days, my very first targets were spoons- 1 stainless which I wanted to make an electrolysis bath with, and one Nickel silver. Anyway next is a find that was on my top ten list after I saw a member here post one recently.
DSC00684.JPG
After a lot of searching online I found he came from a kids lead foundry kit from the 30s. WW1 sniper. Just shows how times have changed! BTW This was in my junk pile, as I was finding a lot of scrap lead! Here is a pic of what came in the kit.
md08vyhmRhkYmpRFCLiAaOQ.jpg

Now A group shot of the decent stuff.
DSC00679.JPG
Bottom left is a toasted Young Headed Victoria half penny, so pre 1860. No Date visible
Second in is another toasted penny, but oddly it has had two notches deliberately cut out at ten to two. Does anyone know if there is a reason for this? I have heard of cut coins and clipped coins but not notched.
Third in is a 1860 Bun Head Victoria. This is a shame because a Young head Victoria of the same year in mint condition goes for 1000e.!!!!
Forth penny from left has no date, and the fifth item in is a copper earring or pin.

Now to the Bizarre part. One of the pennies was about a foot deep down this hole.
DSC00676.JPG
I rechecked the hole and got another signal. Another ten inches down- another of the pennies. Rechecked again Another signal! Tried to dig but was on a layer of rocks.Rolled up my sleeves and was way past my elbow in freezing cold water. My feet were soaking also, so it's fair to say the conditions were less than ideal. Took out some large rocks and managed three shovel fulls, my shovel being completely submerged.
Up pops this.
DSC00674.JPG
The tiniest gold ring I have ever seen. It's so fragile I packed up and left the beech, because I had nowhere to put it safely. It has the most ornate microscopic scrollwork all around inside and out. Cant make out if its writing or art its so small. On my friends inaccurate scale it says 2grms. I am afraid to clean some dirt off the inside it's that delicate.

Straight back yesterday morning and found some of the other bits and bobs.
At about three o clock I got a banging signal four foot from where I found the ring!

Guess what, a copper penny. Rechecked and got another signal- the Vicky halfpenny! Checked again and yet another signal even further down.
And now for the most bizarre find I have had bar none. Cannot figure this out!

DSC00678.JPG
Its a gold round disk, not perfectly circular. Reminds me of a struck coin. On this side I can see everything from an alien head to half a harp, depending on which way I turn it. On the reverse it's even more peculiar
The ring and the disk are two different shades. My friend showed me a russian wedding band with White, Rose, and yellow gold. The ring looks rose, and the disk yellow. However on the reverse side of the disc seems to be a rose gold inlay, as the color matches the ring perfectly. DSC00690.JPG

Heres a pic of them both together
DSC00681.JPG DSC00682.JPG

It's a total mystery to me what this disc could be. BTW it measures 3/4 inch across and weighs 4grm on the same dodgy scale.About half a mill thick.

So there it is. A mystery wrapped up in an enigma.

Here's what I learned from this site regarding all of this.
Keep your concretions.
Keep your rubbish.
Always recheck your holes.
Leave no stone unturned
The ace250 does just fine in wet sand!

Sorry for the long post, and the dirty hands,

Happy Hunting to you all

Rory

Upvote 7

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thoroughly enjoyed your post and the pics of your killer finds. Congrats!

DadOfTwo

Nov 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT, Vulcan 360 pp.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, great finds. I'm new here, and haven't even received my first MD yet (backordered). Even so from what I've read I'm really impressed that you got a signal on that tiny gold ring in wet sand with the 250. Did you record, or do you remember, how it was indicating? I ordered a Coinmaster GT rather than the Ace due to its beach mode. Now I'm second-guessing...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr.T

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, great finds. I'm new here, and haven't even received my first MD yet (backordered). Even so from what I've read I'm really impressed that you got a signal on that tiny gold ring in wet sand with the 250. Did you record, or do you remember, how it was indicating? I ordered a Coinmaster GT rather than the Ace due to its beach mode. Now I'm second-guessing...

Hi There-

The ring was jumping all around the display, but I was getting a signal when I swept both ways, and when I moved around the hole. I was already
down so deep, I was getting it out, no matter what. I am sure the coinmaster is a great machine also, As long as you are out using it. A 200 dollar machine
thats being used, will find a lot more than a 3000 dollar machine sitting in a press! The more you hunt,the more you find, simple as. Best of luck when you get going!

Rory

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your gold, and mystery!

OP
OP
Mr.T

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC00698.JPG
look like diamonds on the right. only small-3. making a chess set.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish your pix were in focus, I know how hard it is to get good closeup pix. Looks very exciting those finds! Good work!

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish your pix were in focus, I know how hard it is to get good closeup pix. Looks very exciting those finds! Good work!
Indeed! I know you have some nice finds.........but without better pic's we won't be able to help you ID !

Iowa Dale

OP
OP
Mr.T

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks folk- I just have a phone camera, so its hard to get good shots. Tried more but they weren't any better.
I have not been back there, but told my friend and she went yesterday. Scored five old coins and a penknife. Area the size of a rug.
Thinking of meeting up and digging some serious holes tomorrow or Wednesday.

Theres a thread on here about cleaning copper coins. One person says how they left some on the dash of there car and
the next day there was more detail. Well it was sunny yesterday morning so I left the toasted coppers above
on the ledge beside the glass for the day. Cant believe the results. I'm guessing the uv is helping dry out right into the core of the coin.
Not sure it would work as well on a coin thats been sitting in a drawer for years. But it definitely worked on these DSC00722.JPG

Also- the ace 250 recognises a phone chip but the x pointer doesn't!

Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread