πŸ₯‡ BANNER Black glass bottle, a gator and a cameo appearance by the Bearded Man

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, after Hurricane Hermine blew through South Carolina Dirtstalker and I made plans to dig the Swamp Pit on Labor Day. But the old man wore himself out digging some kind of old tag and wasn't able to go. So Monday morning I made the 90-minute journey and headed toward the pit. On the way I was greeted by a small (three foot) alligator that I have named Ollie; he must have come up from the swamp when it was flooded by the storm.

20160907_190435.jpg

No big deal, I just walked around him and headed to the pit. When I arrived I found a small pond where I have been digging the past few trips, courtesy of Hermine.

20160907_185910.jpg

I certainly didn't drive that far to turn around and go home, so I waded into the pit and dug through the slop. Basically I was feeling my way through the mire and lifting out anything solid to inspect it. As in all of the digs before I hit a layer of black glass shards and started working my way through them. After a while I found two or three shards of salt-glazed pottery that I thought were more pieces of a jar that I have been reconstructing, but the glaze looked more brown than the other pieces. When I dug a jug handle and spout of the same color I knew I was finding something different. Recognizing it to be from a Rhenish jug I thought to myself how cool it would be if it was a Bartmann jug, but I knew the odds of that were very slim.

As I worked through more glass I felt the base of a bottle and followed it with my hands around to the neck. I carefully dug it out with my screwdriver and pulled out a small bottle with a flat oval front. The back is missing but rest of it is intact.

20160907_183622.jpg 20160907_183508.jpg

20160907_183547.jpg

After that I continued to find a lot of good-sized pieces of the brown glazed jug. Then it happened-I pulled up a pottery shard that had part of the face of a bearded man-and then I found the rest of it. I was astounded, because I then knew that what I was finding was a Bartmann jug, also known as a Bellarmine jug. They were made in what is now Western Germany, during the 16th and 17th centuries, this one presumably being made in the 1600s. The signature of these jugs was the "Bartmaske," which is German for "Bearded Man." It was a representation of the "Wild Man," a mythological creature of Northern European folklore. The jugs are highly collectible and are fairly rare finds.

20160905_200154.jpg

I knew I had found enough for a partial reconstruction. After I got home and cleaned the shards I laid them out and took this picture:

20160907_185331.jpg

Then I began the slow tedious task of gluing the pieces back together.

20160907_185521.jpg

20160907_185430.jpg

This is the final product:

20160907_193747.jpg

20160907_184316.jpg

20160907_184229.jpg

20160907_184637.jpg

Most Bartmann jugs had from one to three ornate medallions/seals attached to the mid-section. This one originally had two, one to either side of (and below) the Bearded Man. They apparently broke off; you can see the clay blobs where they were attached. I would LOVE to find at least one of them.

Here is a shot of the Bartmann jug beside the bottle for a size reference:

20160907_183139.jpg

All of my finds for the day:

20160907_182526.jpg

And these are the bottle and ceramic reconstructions from the Swamp Pit so far; the ceramics are a work in progress. Hopefully I will be adding to them with shards found on future digs.

20160907_182245.jpg

Digging the Swamp Pit so far has been a wild ride, and there is plenty of pit left to dig. So until next time, I will leave you with an image of the Bearded Man; I think he looks a lot like Dirtstalker:

20160907_190815.jpg

Attachments

• 20160907_185620 (1).jpg
    20160907_185620 (1).jpg
    708.2 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
Upvote 62
OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a Dutch pontil , Such an excellent rare form whether it was English or Dutch. I would be thrilled to find that form!

Thanks for the id-it is definitely an unusual form.

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best post ever! What an amazing journey to take with you rebuilding that vase. Thank you. -Lisa

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG WHAT POTTERY AND THE SHERDS TO GO WITH THEM ...

Pacivilwarluke

Feb 15, 2013
York PA, Edisto Beach SC, Shepherdstown WV
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! That bellarmine jug recontruction is awesome! Its amazing seeing what youre finding! Those are a pretty rare find down south from what I understand, i have part of the face of one I dug near charleston in a pit and I was pumped over that! Congrats on the banner! :)

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That bellarmine jug recontruction is awesome! Its amazing seeing what youre finding! Those are a pretty rare find down south from what I understand, i have part of the face of one I dug near charleston in a pit and I was pumped over that! Congrats on the banner! :)

Thanks Luke-I'm pretty amazed that I was able to find the face, much less most of the rest of it. And I found part of the neck of another one last Saturday-if I can only locate the rest of it...

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glenn you know how much I love my morning dose of caffine in the morning and Really Can't get started without it ...well this morning I really could use your expertise.......
oops.jpg

Attachments

• broken-mug.jpg
    broken-mug.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 119
OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drop your favorite coffee cup?

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible...those are some real nice finds and nicely reassembled.
I would work that area till I found every piece...
Nicely done.
Trez

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huge congrats and thanks for posting. Love the older glass!

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post! I love posts that I actually learn things from. Congrats on the find. And thanks for sharing. Ps is that the NEL Attack Coil? I think you posted that? Anyways, believe me, nowhere near a waste of money!!! I absolutely murder 10" silver with that coil!! NEL is a great company!! Also have their Snake coil. Could not be happier with their products and their return on investment.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great work and great saves!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions