Black Hills something for a game? Please help identify

Dudewah

Mar 9, 2020
Capistrano Beach CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Grandfather found all these pieces as a boy in the 1st decade of the early 1900's in the Black Hills of South Dakota. For all these years we believed the smoothly polished tan colored round stone was some sort of grinding stone.

Recently it was mentioned that it may be a "ball" from some sort of game. Is this possible? And if so what was the game called and any information please.

The axe head near the "disc" type rock has a very fine polish to it where it must have been lashed to a handle. Both pieces are in perfect shape. Family is truly curious about both.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Attachments

• IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Black HillsSioux1.JPG
    Black HillsSioux1.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 58

I think the peach state archeological society probably hasn’t excavated much of Arkansas. In at least 3 locations I’ve found variants of discoidals. While some were broken due to being in a crop field, I do have one that’s still whole, and was found in a bluff shelter on my uncles property. Up on top of the bluff shelters is a vast flat area where it was likely they had their little alleys. So far I’ve not done any digging on top, but will before too long. Ninety percent of the time I go there it’s raining so the bluff shelters is where I look so I don’t get rained on.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back