black rock metallic spheres,id help

alan p

Nov 15, 2015
norfolk England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WP_20160521_12_48_53_Pro.jpg WP_20160521_12_48_44_Pro.jpg WP_20160521_12_46_59_Pro.jpg WP_20160521_12_43_39_Pro.jpg WP_20160520_17_54_52_Pro.jpg WP_20160520_17_55_33_Pro.jpg WP_20160520_17_49_19_Pro.jpg WP_20160520_17_50_11_Pro.jpg WP_20160520_18_27_37_Pro.jpg Picked up this very hard black stone/rock as I noticed it had rust spots on it, slightly magnetic but will hold a small magnet on some parts, filed a window but see just black, decided to crack it open and succeeded after quite a lot of hard hits with a lump hammer and didn't mark up the surprisingly, its a tough one,as you will see from the pics it has tiny metallic spheres on and various others just appearing out of a solid matt black rock, grey to black streak, no sign of crust unless highly weathered and thin,33grm,density of 3.2, the spheres balls are silvery or matt black and silvery patches and tiny rust spots on them and have a light blue powdery substance around them,looked up loads of sites and books and cannot find any where terrestrial or other, I did look up "chondrules in earth rocks" and in images it shows a pic of a meteorite chondrule sticking out that look similar to mine, gonna get it checked out, wot you think.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Likely not meteoritic. The interior chambers are not something one normally finds in meteorites. Sorry.

justbrian55

Apr 10, 2016
Top side Illinois
Primary Interest:
Other
Kinda cool ~ I've one similar of sorts having some of those spheres as well looking like they melted out or such. Only very slightly magnetic but the heavy rock was rusted all over 1/16- 1/8th thick..
I filed a flat spot..eh, had to take a bench grinder to it, then for silly sakes a tiny wire wheel with the Dremel. Oddly it polished to glass finish in just a few minutes.
Under the loupe, 30x, it looks like a yellowish gem of sorts~~~~
~~I the one photo you put up there's a tiny yellow looking chip hanging on the end. Maybe not lose that?

Last edited:
OP
OP
alan p

alan p

Nov 15, 2015
norfolk England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WP_20160604_22_39_47_Pro.jpg WP_20160604_22_39_08_Pro.jpg The yellow was just a bit of grit,and I meant to say it was attracted to a magnet and not magnetic,the rock has been originally broken and for sometime by the look of it on the light brown area where the chambers are that tuberale mentions and it must have been some force that broke it, when I broke the slice off I hit it lightly at first then hit harder and to think it could have smashed to pieces but luckily it was too hard,all the balls are metal and there is also lumps of metal, in the pic with the semi circle balls to the left is a shiny lump of metal,on the other pic is the old broken area with rusty balls and the blackness of the rock is like soot or blackboard with the naked eye, and you can really feel the denseness of it,love it, cannot find the blackness of that in any rocks anywhere and it has natural visible iron in the balls and lumps that I didn't think happened in earth rocks, correct me if I'm being thick, anyone got any similar pics, still gonna have it checked out.

justbrian55

Apr 10, 2016
Top side Illinois
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry Alan. I use the magnetic when a magnet sticks to it.
Cwap, I lost all I wrote bouncing back and forth tapping out stuff/thoughts/re-checking your photos Alan. I'm a far cry from any real experience bud, and ima not re-trying..tay? :)

On my last post I did try but failed link posting, a photo of a cut away of that meteor that fell in Russia in 2013. One example I chose fake or not, that meteor looked messed up inside as there are quite a few, and looked like earth rock.
~~~ and reason of my first post. ~~ the night I read your post I saw a documentary of the Chelyabinsk meteor. They showed a cutaway and it blew my mind it near looked sedentary in a small part, so I looked it up.
Quite the messed up meteor for hitting a lake I must say. (No where near as yours, but put me back in the trick bag of mine) Fractures and interior looking stuffs.
If your professor can't id it, but sez no. "thank you, it's from Uranus then"

OP
OP
alan p

alan p

Nov 15, 2015
norfolk England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Piss myself laughing when I read the end of your message justbrian, so maybe a Klingon then yeh, taking it in to be looked at this wkend, I find lots of strange rocks and trying to I.d most but cannot get answers for this one, earth rocks don't have natural bits of iron in them unless its some kind of slag or clinker and I don't believe its any of those two, however it does have metal in it in places even if they are mostly in the shape of balls and after all silica chondrules so why not metallic type chondrules, new discoveries all the time, not saying its a meteorite as no crust visible, people bikes and cars pass over where I found it, anyway is or not I still have to find out what it is.

justbrian55

Apr 10, 2016
Top side Illinois
Primary Interest:
Other
lol, ya nailed what I meant Alan. Hearing of moon, mars, other meteors there is room for new discoveries.
I'll keep an eye out if you post what was found out.
Where are you taking it?

I tried internetting around where to take mine and I got dead ends. Prolly just an odd rock but I still wonder of the various within the rock, which why I haven't photo'd it yet.
Maybe when your topic boils over I'll shoot a few and lay them out for kicks..if I get some good detail. If ya don't mind.
Ima not sure if it should go to Rock/Gems forum.

OP
OP
alan p

alan p

Nov 15, 2015
norfolk England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WP_20160607_20_52_57_Pro.jpg WP_20160607_20_49_32_Pro.jpg WP_20160607_20_48_59_Pro.jpg A few different pics I've taken so you can see proper colour of inside of rock WP_20160607_20_46_49_Pro.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread