BLACK SAND DETECTOR

BobbyCBrite

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I am sure there is a more appropriate thread to get this into, but I wanted to post here to get more eyes on it, and thus more recommendations.

I have a beach near me, full black sand, in the shadows of a volcano. To make things worse, there are salt farms on this beach.

The teaser is, the beach is pristine. No tourists, (I live on a tourist island) and ..... a history of pirates and two 19th century naval invasions, right on the spot I want to hunt.

I currently have a White's Vx3. As many of you will know, this isn't cutting it. Got all sorts of recommended settings from a knowledgeable White's expert, who said, chances are unlikely.

I am not THAT serious of a dectorists, the Vx3 is probably already above my level in terms of the amount of time I spend on the hobby. That said, I do want to spend more time, and would be foolish not to take advantage of where I am -- Indonesia.

Having two high-end detectors is a bit much. Of course I could sell one, but from what I have read so far, anything suitable for the black sand, will probably be a bit of a no go in other conditions.

So, my question is - What machine will help me hunt these conditions. It needs to be 100% able to pull the weight, as I would be gutted to buy something, only to take it out and get the dreaded overload and it being useless.

I also don't want to bankrupt myself buying a new machine. So an economical solution, if possible, would be very welcome

Please give be unbiased recommendations, hopefully based on experience and technical knowledge. Opinions are also welcome.. :) ha.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

And many thanks in advance.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would be helpful to know the location of Indonesia so we could figure out exactly the mineralization materials of the beach. Various forms of iron in nature and they all cause different effects on different detectors. It might be possible that there is NO detector that can work it.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
These black sands - are they magnetic? That'd be my first question. If they're not magnetic, then no problems.

Next question - do you ever intend (or think you might) to go into/under the water?

How "set" are you on having a VDI?

You might consider a Tesoro Tiger Shark

OP
OP
B

BobbyCBrite

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My main location is Lombok. But there are heaps of other similiar black sand beaches throughout. A trip to Bandah Islands is in the works, they have jet black sand as well.

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Would be bummed if no detector can work.

I will have to stick a magnet in the sand next time down there to see if magnetic. Unlikely I will go into the water. Perhaps along the shoreline, but not essential.

VDI isn't a deal breaker. Main point is to get out there and get some hunting done.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro SAND SHARK (Pulse Induction), Whites Dual Field (Pulse Induction). These are the two machines you want to look at.:occasion14:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...You might consider a Tesoro Tiger Shark

NO! This is a FRESHwater machine. Not for black sands and saltwater.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh?? Hmm... The Tiger has different metal modes, so there I go getting myself into trouble again and assuming. :BangHead:

OP
OP
B

BobbyCBrite

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I have decided to have a serious look at the White's TDI SL. From the information I've received, it's my best choice.

The only challenge now, is trying to figure out if it will indeed work on such challenging environment, BEFORE I buy it. I'm a bit isolated here. Not like I can borrow a machine and test it out.

Seriously thinking of digging some soil and sending it the nearest White's distributor - in australia.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My understanding of the local black sand is that it is mainly obsidian. The sand is made of volcanic glass. Like BobbyCBrite noted, take a magnet to the beach and see if it is magnetic. Let us know what happens...

OP
OP
B

BobbyCBrite

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This can't be good.

Dragged a rare earth magnet through my sand. Totally covered the magnet.

Any thoughts? Am I out of luck? Is this sand too hot for ANY detector?

20160713_152132.jpg

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are going to have to use a Pi detector with ground balance I believe. A TDI, ATX, GPX all have adjustable ground balance. The ATX is the only one which is waterproof.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BobbyCBrite

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great. So the PI's will work. Still have my sights set on the Whites TDI SL.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great. So the PI's will work. Still have my sights set on the Whites TDI SL.

Try to find a used Minelab SD or GP machine. They are out there and they are 10X the machine the TDI SL is. :occasion14:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a rock shop here that rents several different brands of detectors.
If there is a place where you live that rents you could experiment with
different brands.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
This can't be good.

Dragged a rare earth magnet through my sand. Totally covered the magnet.

Any thoughts? Am I out of luck? Is this sand too hot for ANY detector?

View attachment 1336067

Electromagnet mounted on a crane or boom on a tracked vehicle, spend several months to possibly years picking up all of the Iron (Black Sand), sell the Iron, go back to metal detecting and hopefully problem solved.:dontknow::icon_scratch:

Frank

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for a gently used ML Sovereign (any version). It is multi freq., ignores iron, and has no issue with black sand (no GB needed). Just make sure your coil is water poof, and keep the control box out of the water.

If you have more cash, look for an Excalibur.

Happy hunting.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's my take on this situation based on past experiences. I have pulled coins from magnetic black sand on beaches with my Whites Surfmaster PI. There are about 3 old versions of this detector. Mine is the one with the pulse delay control. There is a new version called the dual field. My detector is super sensitive to targets. I have found rings at 10" in normal sand and boat anchors at 4'. If I were you, I would pick up a used surfmaster with the pulse delay. Hay, it's waterproof also. Mine is 15 years old and works like new. That's my best suggestion. Good luck.
canon--OC.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread