Black Sand Setting on Lobo Question

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy All, I have recently hunted a couple of home sites where homes had burned years ago. The site that we hunted yesterday had a home built using the same chimneys as the house that burned around 1900. Both sites have lots of trash signals. You can't swing the detector without getting a signal, sometimes 2 or 3 in one swing. I found a 1864 2 cent coin and a 1925 dime yesterday and a few modern coins. I went back for an hour today and got some more clad. I flipped the switch from "normal soil" to "black sand" and things got quieter. My question is, is this a wise move? Is running in black sand mode possibly causing me to miss the good stuff? I have been running disc at 5 and bumping up to 8 after i get a signal and only digging good signals at 8 or above. I haven't ever used black sand mode before but it did seem to help. Thanks in advance for any help. steve

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When using the Lobo Super Traq in "Discriminate" mode, the machine switches to a factory pre-set ground balance, and you lose a couple of inches in depth as compared to "All Metal" with an audible threshold. Switching into "Black Sand" while in the Discrimination mode should not really have any effect - in my mind, which doesn't really mean anything! The LST is just too sensitive in that hunting situation (been there done that!), so I got the Vaquero. This is a great question for Robert Martensen!

Ken~Digs

May 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey I-Steve (& Terry) , I use it all the time Here in Arizona while Dealing with the Blacks for Prospecting. So far I've only been out about 4 times because we just finished remodeling for 6 months. it has become about the only way i can use it kinda successfully out here by Black Cyn. I have only found 1 quartz rock with smalls on it , but I've found it does help weed out a bit of Ironstone so to me, that has to help. And of course I find Plenty of lead & Copper easier in that mode as well - but I dont use Disc at All on lobo (only B_Sand mode) for Natural gold. I fire it up & G-B it in the mode as well. So far (because i'm not a 30 yr. beeper) It's the Only way 90% of the time I hunt with Lobo. The Tests & Field Use i've done, doesn't lose Any Depth as Far as I can Tell. I think Lobo ST is an Underrated VLF. I wont be without mine. Hope this helps some ~ Ken

Last edited:

skscott

Greenie
Jul 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi- we had a Garrett 2500- couldn't figure out how to use the darn thing properly- traded straight across for the LST. Best trade I ever made as far as I'm concerned. We live in an area that is heavily black sand, on a 150 year old homestead. We use the LST in All Metal/ Black Sand mode and have had no loss of depth. We don't use the Discriminate setting at all. We've dug a lot of trash, but also have dug a better-than-pin sized nugget at 3+ inches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions