black sand

XT18000

May 26, 2008
You will almost always find black sands with placer gold but not always find gold with black sands.
Read this over and over until you under stand this! If there is any gold it will remain in your pan
after you pan it down to no more than two or three teaspoons left if there is fools gold in your
material to start with it will wash out as you pan down. Fools gold will also shatter if you mash it
with a knife blade gold will not. Same holds true for nuggets (or what you THINK are nuggets ).

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
As XT indicates, you almost always have black sands where you find placer gold. How do you find the gold if you think it is there??? Look for it! Get yourself a pan and a shovel, get out in the creeks and start test panning. Educate yourself with the many websites and books available. They'll help you to identify where the gold might be - inside bends of the creek, behind big boulders, in the bedrock cracks and behind the bedrock dropoffs. Test pan, test pan, test pan!

And the best way to learn is to find someone who already knows how to find gold! Join a prospecting club, watch "Gold Fever" and other prospecting shows, and do your research - the best places to find gold is where gold has been found before. Check the Internet and library.

Much color in your pan!

Lookin

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder where the SOB that bit my head off on hear a while ago when I stated that exact fact,that has been my finding but I guess according to him he never finds black sand where he finds his gold.News to me.....but didnt claim to know it all!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread