Black smith token.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• P1200454.JPG
    P1200454.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 272

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Only those types believed to have actually been struck in Canada can be properly called Canadian Blacksmith tokens, and are identified by die variety. A full listing of the known types accepted as Canadian can be found in "A CHARLTON STANDARD CATALOGUE, CANADIAN COLONIAL TOKENS" book.
Source:http://www.calgarycoin.com/modern/cantoken.htm

OP
OP
Brian C.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mackaydon said:
Only those types believed to have actually been struck in Canada can be properly called Canadian Blacksmith tokens, and are identified by die variety. A full listing of the known types accepted as Canadian can be found in "A CHARLTON STANDARD CATALOGUE, CANADIAN COLONIAL TOKENS" book.
Source:http://www.calgarycoin.com/modern/cantoken.htm
Thanks for the imfo, I knew the tokens were from Quebec in the 1830s period, I will check out the link you sent me. Brian C.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a George III Irish Halfpenny - Older Bust 1775-1782

The crack is probably not from a die, and these were counterfeited a lot so the crack could have occurred from being made of mixed metal. If it was a Blacksmith it would not have that bust.

Attachments

• J01001X2.JPG
    J01001X2.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 238
OP
OP
Brian C.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:

The crack is probably not from a die, and these were counterfeited a lot so the crack could have occurred from being made of mixed metal. If it was a Blacksmith it would not have that bust.
I have not been able to get on to the site for several days, not sure why? Here is a picture from a token book I have, allot of the black smith tokens did have a bust. My coin might be the George 111 halfpenny, the back is totally blank, maybe from use. I know in one of my 1812 sites there was half a coin mold found, it was for the British coppers,I did find a blank copper except for the faint impression of a crown. I was told that the American troops were at this site, there have been several 1812 us pewter and brass buttons found. Thanks for your feed back. Brian C.

Attachments

• P1250456.JPG
    P1250456.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 231

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian C. said:
Iron Patch said:

I have not been able to get on to the site for several days, not sure why? Here is a picture from a token book I have, allot of the black smith tokens did have a bust. My coin might be the George 111 halfpenny, the back is totally blank, maybe from use. I know in one of my 1812 sites there was half a coin mold found, it was for the British coppers,I did find a blank copper except for the faint impression of a crown. I was told that the American troops were at this site, there have been several 1812 us pewter and brass buttons found. Thanks for your feed back. Brian C.

Yeah the site was down.

You can see some of the letters on your coin. (definitely not a Blacksmith)

Sounds like you have some interesting old finds. Keep posting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread