DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came upon a buffalo nickel a while bac in some change I was looking through and I couldnt read the date or some other parts of the nickel due to this black looking stuff thats on it.i tried cleanin it off with just some water and baking soda, but the stuff wasnt affected at all. Im not sure if there is a way to clean it or not, but it like the date on it is corroded off because when i move my finger across it, its flat, but i dont kno if thats due to the stuff on it. Any help is appreciated

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby, not knowing what the black stuff is makes it a bit difficult but if you have mechanic's hand cleaner, like GOOP, try that, if it is petroleum based stuff, like a tar, than that will dissolve it.
Other than that , experiment with different cleansers/removers, nothing to lose, you are just trying to get a date off of it so have at it. :)

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If its organic materal like tar, try using acetone. (Fingernail polish remover).

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I run into that black crud everytime I dig a nickel older than 1950, and it's especially bad on war nickels around here. I've been able to see the date on the one's I've dug and, not being rare, I usually get in there with a dish scrubbing pad. It leaves some fine scratches, but they're still more attractive then leaving a big black chunk across Jefferson's face. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread