Black Widow Headphones, on Explorer SE ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how many of you,
if any remember my Experience with Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
a few years ago I purchased a Pair to use with My SE.

When I tried them I found out I had to strain to hear.
They have a Signal Limiter switch
(Special low-noise signal limiting circuitry protects your hearing from high volume hits)
Not so Funny Thing.... The Limiter Switch seemed to be on no matter what I tried.
After Finally getting through To
a Detector Pro Technician he Tells me
The Explorers Built in signal Limiter works to Double the Signal Limitations,
So tuff Luck I'm Screwed for having hearing problems :(

not to make a Bad thing Worse, I gave them to my Nephew as a Christmas Gift.
He has excellent Hearing So they are fine for him.

Detector Pro Black Widow Headphones ?

{The Black Widow contains a dual mini-toggle switching system like our famous Gray Ghost Ultimate. One switch provides greater compatibility with detector audio systems and the other switch allows signal limitation when extreme volume is not required.)

So if I buy Them, Am I brain Dead ? is
Detector Pro going to Laugh again at Screwing me Over ?

Detector Pro Jolly Rogers Headphones

appear to not have a Limiter Switch BUT .. Are they Loud ? Or do they have wimpy volume in the first place,
making the limiter switch unnecessary ?

is there anyone here who actually experienced the Volume Limits with the Grey Ghost Ultimates
on the Explorer SE that can Honestly tell me which to purchase to get Loud Tones ?

Please ! I don't want to go Through the Purchase & Return at My Expense & a restock fee Loss If I'm not satisfied bit. & My Nephew doesn't need another pair :tongue3:

Yes Treasure Wise are Loud & under $30.00 but only last a month tops
before they start crackling and cutting out when the wires move.

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is hard to say. I got a set of Ultimates on a trade but sold them before U uswd them. I have decible loss in different frequencies between both ears. When I take hearing tests my lowest are in the 60-65 range, when a 0-10 is normal. I use both the Black Widows, Nugget Busters NDTS and CTX Sunrays. I think the BWs and NDTs don't possess a limiter. I really like these three headphones. For me, I absolutely require independent volume controls, and they do the trick but the Detectorpros are more comfortable even though the Sunray hearphone pads are softer . I recently bought the Grey Ghost XP headphones which don't have independent volume controls and they use the WS4 module volume control. As a result, I can barely hear some sounds on one side and the same sounds are blasting on the other. I know that some of the other headphones with a limiter switch don't work as well for me.

Last edited:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my Black Widows as far as being able to hear whispers is concerned on my CTX. A couple things I don't like are that they are heavy, overheat my ears, and have a sort of secondary threshold. You hear the primary threshold plus a near silent one that changes when you hear a tone. Kinda like a normal threshold change on a Sovereign/Excal when nulling but on a good tone instead. I find the Jolly Rogers to work excellent with my Sovereign, the Black Widows not so much. I really wish they would redesign the Koss UR30's, clear, crisp, distinct tones but they fall off your head.
And yes, the Black Widows are super loud!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread