Blacksand concentrate values as reported in USGS Bulletin No.280

specksandflecks

Nov 13, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thought I would put this out there. I'm sure it's been posted many times before, although a quick site search returned no results. Begins on Page #150.

Bulletin - Google Books

It's my understanding that 95-98% of the values were recovered as free gold/platinum down to 200 mesh using Wilfley type tables, although other means were also apparently used in the assay process.

What I was trying to find when I found this was what amount of gold could potentially be bound to the black/heavy sand concentrates from various areas. Since I have several hundred pounds from several areas I have been thinking more about grinding/roasting,etc to see what values they might hold.

What are the preferred methods for reducing my heavy cons from say #8, down to 2-#300? Ball Mill Vs Roller Vs Impact for example? I have been considering re purposing a used cement mixer into a makeshift mill of some type but was doubtful the values would be worth the time/trouble, Bulletin 280 almost has me re-considering the experiment, almost. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
youll never know untill you do it! already haveing a cement mixer is a plus for grinding large amount of BS. add some vinigar or something to help wash off any lingering mercury or oils to help in your recovery.

OP
OP
specksandflecks

specksandflecks

Nov 13, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Russau, about how much vinegar for a 5 gallon batch?

Thats great Oakview2, I seldom read the hardrock section of the forums, figure I would probably end up down an old mineshaft somewhere. Maybe an occasional looksee wouldn't hurt though!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions