Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,
Been having a dig in Mick's top field - found this 'Blade' fragment, 28mm x 18mm. Super smooth surface, central rib along both sides, copper or bronze alloy?, side view shows the thin exterior layer different to the less-dense middle.
Knife or sword?
Roman or earlier?
Here are the pics:

Blade-Fragment-1.jpg

Blade-Fragment-2.jpg

Blade-Fragment-3.jpg

Blade-Fragment-4.jpg

Blade-Fragment-5.jpg

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Blade fragment (updated)

DavidBeard said:
Its Official :hello2:
Just got back in after the 'Derby Artifacts Recovery Club' meeting with 'Derby Museum'.
The 'Blade Fragment' is indeed a Bronze Age Dagger or Rapier blade fragment - around 3000 years old. Hoping to get a picture/diagram of how it would have looked with its edge intact.
Its now been taken off my hands and being scrutinised in the vaults of the museum.
Hopefully I'll find more parts of it over the coming years.
Sorry to disappoint about the 'Cooking Pot Leg' theory but the idea did get a few laughs!
Speak soon,
Best wishes.
David
x
So its now 'officially' your oldest find. Glad I didn't bet on this one :D :D Maybe I should go on first glances more often :P

Personally I have had more laughs at their expense than they have at mine, so it tips the balance back a little.

I've been wrong before & I will be wrong again, its all good learning to me how ever it happens. :icon_thumright:

As you say keep looking for the other bits but it may take several years.

OP
OP
DavidBeard

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
...I've been wrong before & I will be wrong again, its all good learning to me how ever it happens. :icon_thumright: ...
The picture doesn't do it justice Crusader - Having the piece in your hand, feeling the weight and smoothness of the thing, seeing things under the patina that don't show on the photo makes all the difference.
Speak soon,
David.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
DavidBeard said:
Its Official :hello2:
Just got back in after the 'Derby Artifacts Recovery Club' meeting with 'Derby Museum'.
The 'Blade Fragment' is indeed a Bronze Age Dagger or Rapier blade fragment - around 3000 years old. Hoping to get a picture/diagram of how it would have looked with its edge intact.
Its now been taken off my hands and being scrutinised in the vaults of the museum.
Hopefully I'll find more parts of it over the coming years.
Sorry to disappoint about the 'Cooking Pot Leg' theory but the idea did get a few laughs!
Speak soon,
Best wishes.
David
x
So its now 'officially' your oldest find. Glad I didn't bet on this one :D :D Maybe I should go on first glances more often :P

Personally I have had more laughs at their expense than they have at mine, so it tips the balance back a little.

I've been wrong before & I will be wrong again, its all good learning to me how ever it happens. :icon_thumright:

As you say keep looking for the other bits but it may take several years.
I had a Dragenesque brooch fragment, ID as a Viking Dagger Chape by a Museum ::)

SS

OP
OP
DavidBeard

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oooooohhh! :'( Are you still doubting Silver Searcher? Go on, put me down when I'm up!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DavidBeard said:
Oooooohhh! :'( Are you still doubting Silver Searcher? Go on, put me down when I'm up!
Not at all David :) it's a Great find if that's what it is :notworthy:

All I am saying is they do get it wrong (lots of times) Fitzewilliam Museum springs to mind :wink:(doesn't it Cru)

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher said:
DavidBeard said:
Not at all David :) it's a Great find if that's what it is :notworthy:

All I am saying is they do get it wrong (lots of times) Fitzewilliam Museum springs to mind :wink:(doesn't it Cru)

SS

Definately don't believe everything they say. However, as you say without it in my hand its harder to judge & they are probably correct on this one.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice find :wink:

OP
OP
DavidBeard

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Blade fragment (updated - Update)

The blade fragment has just been returned to me from the 'Portable Antiquities and Treasures' - Here's their report:
Bronze Age cast copper alloy rapier blade fragment; Middle Bronze Age c. 1400BC - 1150BC.
Both blade edges damaged and no edge bevels survive; midrib; the blade is slightly concave either side of the midrib.
Two (casting bubbles) in one break (diameter 1.7mm & 1.2mm) Longitudinal striations on one side; longitudinal and diagonal striations (in one direction) on the other side.
Length 30.4mm, width 19.6mm, thickness across central rib 5.4mm, weight 11.85g.

Still looking for the rest of it!

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Re: Blade fragment (updated - Update)

DavidBeard said:
The blade fragment has just been returned to me from the 'Portable Antiquities and Treasures' - Here's their report:
Bronze Age cast copper alloy rapier blade fragment; Middle Bronze Age c. 1400BC - 1150BC.
Both blade edges damaged and no edge bevels survive; midrib; the blade is slightly concave either side of the midrib.
Two (casting bubbles) in one break (diameter 1.7mm & 1.2mm) Longitudinal striations on one side; longitudinal and diagonal striations (in one direction) on the other side.
Length 30.4mm, width 19.6mm, thickness across central rib 5.4mm, weight 11.85g.

Still looking for the rest of it!

The rest of it could well turn up....or at least some more :icon_thumleft:

WOW! What a find! I could only dream of searching those fields out on your side of this great planet.
So you have got the fragment back from the museum and now you can keep it?
I hope you find at least another piece. Regardless, I'm sure you will dig up something just a cool.
Nicely done!
Dave.

OP
OP
DavidBeard

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WhiteHunter said:
Did you find this at Micks rally ???
No, This is on my local farm in Derbyshire (I try to visit at least a few hours once a week) - Michael (or Mick) is the lovely farmer that owns it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions