Blast from PAST CRH a 35+ year old hord! $250,000 value

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jackpot.

All I can say.
So I was lucky enough to get to broker a honest to god buried hoard of coin over the last three weeks.

It was a great snap shot into what you could expect to find hunting decades ago.

I will start with the cents. When you start off with old rolls and nothing is newer than the shiny 1975 and earlier coins its all copper.
Of the rolls I have opened thus far I have averaged about 1 wheat cent per roll...this means people were still using them but in the 15 years or so since they had been out of make people were saving them.

In the cent bag I found 5 silver dimes as well as some clad dimes, and one war nickel.

The most exiting part was the silver hoard, The guy buried his hoard in his back yard in the garden shed. In a gas can...several metal gas cans in fact.
Six and a half Thousand dollars face, Plus an additional 1100 silver dollars! in 90% silver.
This yeilded a lot of collectors coins. too many to list, I found seated liberty coins up to 40%
The silver dollars were not as good as I had hoped, But I did fine two Carson city dollars.

It was really neat to be able to step back in time and crack rolls that old.

Upvote 0

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see you back Dave, and with a nice recovery. Haven't seen you posting much in ah-while... but then again, I don't post much either.
Robin

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave,

Good to see you posting again! Your knowledge has been missed. But please take breath and slow down. We know you are excited. But your post is a bit jumbled and hard to read

Maybe you had some celebratory bubbly? Either way congrats! Im happy for ya and would love to some pics when you get it all inventoried.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Did you buy them from the person and then sell them off, or did you work strictly as a broker and work on a commission?

Either way, it must have been wonderful to look at all that. One of the benies of your job. :)

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Wow...that must have been exciting!!!!

I recently found an old roll of cents, with the newest being 1977. Your treasure trove must have been a blast!!!!

The 90%...were they Walking Libs, Bens, or Kens?

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
How did you come across these coins. I would love to here more detail about some of the better coins you found.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I am interested in the rest of this story. How did you get involved and did you get a cut? This is facinating to me and I would love a general breakdown of what was found. If you have time my friend. Don't see you on this forum very often any more. Good to see you.

Golden Silver

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Come on...... Out of all the stupid CRH'ing finds where people are demading pictures to prove legitimacy, and nobody even mentions a word about pics here? I am speechless, can someone please check TNET's CRH'ing section's pulse? I think this section may have died....

I am not questioning the validity of this here post, although I am expiriencing some "I wonder why's......"

Since I dont have a problem saying this...(even though it will be the first time I ever have) here goes... PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN.

OP
OP
jewelerdave

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
golden silver said:
I am interested in the rest of this story. How did you get involved and did you get a cut? This is facinating to me and I would love a general breakdown of what was found. If you have time my friend. Don't see you on this forum very often any more. Good to see you.

Golden Silver

Ok, how I came on to this is I own a gold and silver refinery, my web site is www.prospectorsgoldandgems.com
So I am well known in the local community as well as on some of these forums.
Yes I am still minting gold coins and will continue to do so. I have not posted much on the forums of late because I have been so busy.
besides the refining I also do quite a few bullion transaction of other product, 90% silver dollars coins bars etc, Basicly if it has a gold or silver content too it I work with it, or deal in it.
I also work with Dan Carr and produce gold and silver blanks for his mint. his web site is www.moonlightmint.com

So the person above posting as therockdoc feel free to doubt my validity but I am not one to boast often but here it goes.
I have better things to do then that, and hold a good reputation in the community both locally and online. How many gold buyers and refiners are members of the BBB? I am, also check out Dans Site, and the mintage figures, thats just what we have sold to him over the years. I am a growing business. I have pics on my web site, but not of this horde, most if it is gone as the 90% has been melted and sold off, Still have a few hundred dollars left and some odds and ends. The gold was just a bunch of rolls of maple leaves, Again, Sold with a phone call after purchase...this is business as usual for me. Just as when a pawn shop or gold buyer or mining company drops off 50 to 100 oz of gold to be processed into fine, its just business as usual, or when some guy who has put his life savings into gold and silver and needs to sell. As was this case, why is this so unbelievable? that a man who saved gold and silver his whole life, when he needed to sell it, made the chose to come to me and got paid for it. And with gold and silver going up dollar wise a factor of 5 to 10 times in value a $50,000 collection of silver that was put together for decades in the 80s and 90s and early 2000's Even if they guy saved 200 a month into gold and silver for 20 years when silver was say $5 per oz, thats 50k that has gone up to over 300k now...not at all out of line.

The reason for the post is the rolls of cents, Its not every day that you can find a 35 year old horde of anything to go through. And I found it fun to go through it and wanted to share, I probably should not have mentioned the gold and silver part but its not every day you get to work with stuff that was legitimate buried treasure.
I work with a lot of people of all walks of line, many of them that do a hand full at a time.
I have many clients that monthly sell of just enough of there horde to pay the monthly bills. 1 to 2k at a time.
But again, there is nothing to get exited over when someone comes in to sell 50 to 100 face in 90% or a few old gold coins, or a hand full of scrap gold jewelery they found for $50 out at garage sales that netted them a couple hundred bucks. Or the guy who sells off a couple tubes of silver eagles or silver rounds or bars. Most of these people are the ones others called crazy to be spending money on silver and gold decades ago when it was considered a bad investment because the price had been steady for so long. now they are laughing and rolling in the cash for it. selling off the little they need too

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
jewelerdave said:
Most of these people are the ones others called crazy to be spending money on silver and gold decades ago when it was considered a bad investment because the price had been steady for so long. now they are laughing and rolling in the cash for it.

Amen to that...

Years ago, I read an article about silver, and that it would eventually go up in value. I asked around, and unfortunately, I listened to some bad advice that "silver will never be worth anything."

If I would have just spent a little money each week buying junk silver...I would be well off today.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
JD, thanks for filling us all in on this find. Everyone appreciates a good find and especially a real burried treasure. How awesome is that that you got to put your hands on it? If it was a big deal for you that deals with precious metals all the time imagine how it would have been for one of us. LOL. As for the doubters about this guys story....do your research. Jewelerdave has been around this site for quite some time and has a good reputation amost all of us who have been here for years. Good on you Dave and keep up the hunt and don't be such a stranger.

Golden Silver

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Must've been a lot of fun to look through.

I've heard of Dan Carr and recall posters on PCGS forums discussing his minting operations. He sold those fantasy 64 Peace Dollars. I recall an post about him buying a coin press from the Denver Mint so he do his minting.

I do not doubt your post at all. All of us come from various backgrounds and we have to respect that of others. We don't quickly question their validity without evidence pointing otherwise.

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois
Good to see you again jewelerdave! I'd love to be able to go through a collection like that, it would be a blast. Hope you didn't end up melting too many walkers... I know it would be hard for me to be in your business as I would hate to melt the older stuff.

Also speaking of Dan Carr, I've been thinking of getting one of his 1975 ikes to show off at banks. That way I can tell them I'm looking for the elusive 1975 half dollars to match my 1975 ike (or any other big dollars they migh thave of course) :)

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, got to say it... I am NOT attempting to start anything...

Rockdoc, you registered in 2011...

Dave registered in 2007...

I registered in 2006... I don't provide "pics".

Dave does NOT need to provide "pics"... if he says something, you can "take it to the bank" that he's being straight-up.

Once again, Dave, nice recovery.
Robin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread