May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to discuss one of our many tactics for blind searching (hunting ground with no research hits).
One reason I like to hunt with 0 discrim is not only to keep it deep but to hear every nail, which helps pin down good areas to grid. Now that I have the Deus I have found a new tool; Ground Balance ID. I have noticed that the baseline GB is about 75, but on contaminated Roman Sites, it's 80+. So when hunting out a new spot I keep an eye out for an increase in the baseline. Today I used my usual landscape archaeological eye to zero in on a likely lump. When I got there the GB went from 76 to 87 & I dug a bit of lead, then a sixpence. I then said to Dad 'I'm optimistic about this area' & walked about 2 steps & the next dig was a rare Saxon Wrist Clasp. At this point we use 1 of our gridding tactics when on unsearched land & that was to grid in opposite directions. This means that the better direction can be doubled up on when we know which way to grid.
Maybe the US Deus users may know this GB trick for Colonials Sites?

End result after only 3 hours was:

1 Roman Coin
Tudor Couldron Foot
Geo IV Sixpence
Lead Token
Lead Civil War 17th C Powder Flask Cap
Broken Tudor Clothes Fastener
Medieval Thimble
Victorian Medicine? Weight
6th C Saxon Wrist Clasp:icon_thumright:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    260.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 153
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Upvote 15

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's interesting Cru - Is the Ground Balance ID basically giving an indication of how mineralized the soil is in that area ?
(Nice on the Silver !)

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whenever I open one of your posts I always hold my breath waiting to see your latest finds . You never disappoint

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's interesting Cru - Is the Ground Balance ID basically giving an indication of how mineralized the soil is in that area ?
(Nice on the Silver !)

Yes, but also other contaminants that are manmade. Generally the natural mineralization in our area averages about 75 on the ID. Anything in the mid-80s, so far have meant occuption or land use (farming). This is only my observation & I'm sure it will vary massively in other areas.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks very much for the advice Cru! :thumbsup:
I've always been concerned about what I might be missing having the iron discrimination set at 33 of 40 on the AT Pro. :icon_scratch:

The wrist clasp is an interesting find, don't think I've ever seen a complete example found before, have you?
Dave

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information i do not use this method yet but it's sounds like a great idea thank you

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks very much for the advice Cru! :thumbsup:
I've always been concerned about what I might be missing having the iron discrimination set at 33 of 40 on the AT Pro. :icon_scratch:

The wrist clasp is an interesting find, don't think I've ever seen a complete example found before, have you?
Dave

I've had a couple & Dad had a unclassified one last year.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with your hunting technique Cru. I always hunt with "0" discrimination so I can hear every last little piece of iron that may help steer me toward an early house site. It also allows me to hear every non-ferrous target, and I pretty much dig every one as many colonial items can hit on the very low side. And as a general rule in my area, I can hunt with the hottest program and with the sensitivity maxed out. When I get into an iron patch I turn down the sensitivity slightly, but swing more slowly or sometimes switch to a small coil if I get into "machine gun" iron. Gridding in multiple directions is also essential when hunting in heavy iron as many times you can pick up items missed on previous passes due to the coil approaching from a different direction. These are just a few common sense techniques that work great for me.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with your hunting technique Cru. I always hunt with "0" discrimination so I can hear every last little piece of iron that may help steer me toward an early house site. It also allows me to hear every non-ferrous target, and I pretty much dig every one as many colonial items can hit on the very low side. And as a general rule in my area, I can hunt with the hottest program and with the sensitivity maxed out. When I get into an iron patch I turn down the sensitivity slightly, but swing more slowly or sometimes switch to a small coil if I get into "machine gun" iron. Gridding in multiple directions is also essential when hunting in heavy iron as many times you can pick up items missed on previous passes due to the coil approaching from a different direction. These are just a few common sense techniques that work great for me.

Although I'm not a fan of the vdi, it does help me, because I leave everything under 10 which are the nails, & dig every other hit. Mostly to save time, & cover more area.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The odd thing is I notice a drop in the ground balance here where I hunt when I come or go across a house site or foundation in a field, my ground is 78 - 80 then when I get in the heavy iron it drops into the mid 60's. I hope someone can explain why this happens?

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You make it look easy again.... Good advice to play wit ground balance too.

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting , l suppose l should adopt possibly a more experimental approach myself, but generally l use sens 60. (out of 100) and 15 on the disc, l can't run with more sens as l find there is so much general noise l can't sort out the good from the bad.. where as at 60 everything is absolutely clear. (l think its like trying to drive in thick fog on main beam.)
Keep it slow and sure. but at 77 years thats what suits me. but l will pay more attention to GB. Cheers. Hutch.
Oh l use a 7 year old T2.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even with all your experience at locating sites, you can still learn a new trick.
It makes sense in your area where the iron has had such a long time to "break down, and infiltrate the soil", I guess it what is happening, and how I would explain it.

Like you said different results in different places, it's something I've never really noticed, but maybe don't pay close enough attention, and more likely just hasn't had enough time to happen.

I too hunt ZERO DISC, at least almost all the time as when you are right on the hot spot sometimes necessary to turn DISC up a litte to keep your sanity.

Good hunt as usual, good variety.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The odd thing is I notice a drop in the ground balance here where I hunt when I come or go across a house site or foundation in a field, my ground is 78 - 80 then when I get in the heavy iron it drops into the mid 60's. I hope someone can explain why this happens?

Nope, that seems odd, but I guess it still helps you with where to search.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even with all your experience at locating sites, you can still learn a new trick.
It makes sense in your area where the iron has had such a long time to "break down, and infiltrate the soil", I guess it what is happening, and how I would explain it.

Like you said different results in different places, it's something I've never really noticed, but maybe don't pay close enough attention, and more likely just hasn't had enough time to happen.

I too hunt ZERO DISC, at least almost all the time as when you are right on the hot spot sometimes necessary to turn DISC up a litte to keep your sanity.

Good hunt as usual, good variety.

I never turn it up, I've done fields with 10 nails every swing, constant bleeping, doesn't really bother me. Unless I had too many beers the night before...lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread