Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A land owner most certainly can fence his private property. If doing so restricts or eliminates access to some public land , that is just how it goes. Sometimes a fee can be paid to said owner for access beyond his gate. In Idaho [and other states] a financial arrangement can be made by the State to landowners for access for recreation ,hunting, fishing ,etc.. Good luck RD

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
look up the Master title plat you can look for easements and such, some areas in Nevada are managed by BLM
but are old RR grants and fall in a checkerboard pattern that I don't think have been opened back up to mining yet.
maybe a fence is just an area under grazing allotment and can request access from BLM or owners
Nevada Land Records - Search Form

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the quick replies.

I understand a landowner (I'm one myself) has full right to fence their property I'm just wondering if they can do it on BLM land (like what happens in National Forest land).

Probably didn't ask the question the right way. Some places I want to prospect are BLM but access is blocked by private land.

Easements are a good idea to research.

Prospecting isn't easy but worth the effort right?

OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are some RR BLM lands not open for mining?

I would assume LR2000 is the source to consult?

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Approach a land owner the right way..........make a friend for life.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
So some of the areas you want to prospect require passage through private land.

What have you you done to determine who the property owner is? Have you contacted the property owner? Perhaps there are options you have not considered.

OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Learning to navigate the BLM, claims, private owners, National Forest and other entities certainly takes a lot of study.

Like every important thing in life I'm going to ask questions and get educated.

Used to do a lot of mining on my own land near Placerville so permission was easy lol.

I've got about 10 days to recon Nevada. That time will be put to good use talking to the locals and getting a feel for how to proceed.

Learned how to fly on my own and have been with a major airline almost 30 years flying around the world. I'll put my hat in my hand and make some friends in Nevada.

Looking forward to it!!

Thanks gentlemen.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I heard that the Nevada USFS (?) was telling people its ok to knock down claim markers they find if the marker is made of PVC pipe. Isnt that a felony to do this ? My friend got a paper , that I think all claim owners got that says the PVC pipe were killing birds. I read about this awhile back and I saw where they are wanting people to take down the PVC pipe markers and replace them with steel posts or wood are preferably stone monuments. wouldn't a warning sticker (like they use on toys for children) be just as good ! :BangHead:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
img010.jpg Just yet another scam as never in 60+ mining years have I ever seen a single critter inside a pole,just environutz with flashlights depositing critters to once again give up crap. Upon close examination of these false bs pictures you will first notice the round blowup pic of November 2011, pole pulled out completely and dead bird, prop. Look closely at the EXACT rocks layered there to hold the pole up. NOW look at big bad environutz pic of JULY 2012 pulling out the very same pole-already destroyed hypothetically 8 months ago, Dealing with this radical bunch is all in the details as nothing but lies to hastle miners and MAKE FELONY CORNER MARKER DESTRUCTION the rule of the day sic sic sic scam as usual. Look closely at pole top as full of rocks to prevent any critters from entering. :skullflag: John

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RD,
You have the correct attitude about contacting land owners, be polite and if the answer is No then thank them for their time and that you respect their decision. I had the opportunity many years back to do this and after I'd thanked the land owner for his time to talk with me, I'd turned and was walking away and he called me back. His comment "you know most folks don't bother to ask permission and are indignant when I tell them to get off my land, Yes you have my permission just please close all the gates". On our way out we stopped at his house to let him know we were leaving and thanked him again for his kindness. If I'd a thought about it I would have asked him earlier if there was anything we could do for him while we were out there, like report anything about his live stock.
Good hunting and success with asking for permission...............63bkpkr

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1379127 Just yet another scam as never in 60+ mining years have I ever seen a single critter inside a pole,just environutz with flashlights depositing critters to once again give up crap. Upon close examination of these false bs pictures you will first notice the round blowup pic of November 2011, pole pulled out completely and dead bird, prop. Look closely at the EXACT rocks layered there to hold the pole up. NOW look at big bad environutz pic of JULY 2012 pulling out the very same pole-already destroyed hypothetically 8 months ago, Dealing with this radical bunch is all in the details as nothing but lies to hassle miners and MAKE FELONY CORNER MARKER DESTRUCTION the rule of the day sic sic sic scam as usual. Look closely at pole top as full of rocks to prevent any critters from entering. :skullflag: John

John, logic gets twisted, stretched and then folded and spindled until it fits their narrative.
Environuts take the Nazi/Communist approach of "the ends justifies the means" so they can
advance their agenda.

If a PVC post, then simply put a PVC cap on top..that ought to shut them the hell up.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
John, logic gets twisted, stretched and then folded and spindled until it fits their narrative.
Environuts take the Nazi/Communist approach of "the ends justifies the means" so they can
advance their agenda.

If a PVC post, then simply put a PVC cap on top..that ought to shut them the hell up.

Oh come on Dizzy.... We all know that's to simple an answer and makes to much sense for an enviro-nut to be able to understand it. Another easy fix would be to fill the PVC with rocks and sand so nothing can get into it.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh come on Dizzy.... We all know that's to simple an answer and makes to much sense for an enviro-nut to be able to understand it. Another easy fix would be to fill the PVC with rocks and sand so nothing can get into it.

Thought about that, but then that would require more time and labor working
on the pole, and less time for mining.

Truth is, I'd probably make a big deal about installing the PVC corner posts,
and let the local press and public know about it. Hell, let's just make it an
"Event", and lure a carload of the enviro's out to witness the event.

Then, make a big deal out of taking a gob of PVC glue and swabbing
the inside of that cap, and then shove the sonnavawitch on top.

Just to be an ass (and to hammer the point home), I'd hand 'em a dead
tweety and see if they can find a way to get it stuffed inside. If they fail to
stuff the deceased fowl into the pipe, then we win........

......and maybe, just maybe, they'll shut their pieholes for awhile.

I'm just a simple guy, and that seems a lot simpler solution than
going through all that court and legal BS.

:occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are about a dozen areas in Northern Nevada that I plan to visit in this first prospecting recon.

Areas of Nevada I've never had a chance to explore in the past.

Lots of BLM and National Forest.

Locating valid claims so I don't trespass on someone's minerals is my major goal.

Looking forward to many prospecting visits. Lots to learn.

Will try to keep mistakes at a minimum.

Advice/suggestions are always appreciated.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are about a dozen areas in Northern Nevada
that I plan to visit in this first prospecting recon.
Areas of Nevada I've never had a chance to explore in the past.
Lots of BLM and National Forest.

N. Nevada's one of my favorite places in the world..:icon_thumright:

Not sure when you plan to go, but know that N. Nevada weather can
get downright ornery, and in a hurry.

Spent a few days there back in 2013 (Nevada part starts at post #14)

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/354475-long-trip-worth-every-mile.html

I would definitely suggest a stop in Manhattan, and if you check the
maps you can drive the entire length Monitor Valley. Your easiest
access to it is near Tonapah, so you can stock up there on supplies. From
there it's a long ways to the next gas station.

Another great place to check out would be Austin, yet another old school
mining town. There's a great little restaurant there too. Lots of mining
history in the area.

Let us know when ya go!

Last edited:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good maps are a must, I like to get the free ones at BLM or FS and one or two of the full size ones.($7.00-$9.00)
Learning to read the Township, Range, Section (TRS) will really help. (PLSS)
finding the owners of private property, I've had good luck with the county property tax assessor
some are online others are walk-in to use the computer, same with looking up mining claims at the county recorders.
researching areas my go-to is GeoCommunicator
example; all are of the Ryepatch, Nevada area
3.jpg
then a nice overview of where claims are located is MyLandMatters
Untitled.jpg
then the MTP with survey notes, then search land patents BLM GLO Records
2Untitled.jpg
the reconnected RR lands are not open to location but should be open to recreation?

Last edited:

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
I've been to more ghost towns then I can remember all over the great state of Nevada and never had a problem with fences, private property, etc. I think that's one of the great things about Nevada, unlike California where I live, it's wide open and fairly nonrestrictive aside from an oddball military base here and there.

HH,
Brian

OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now THIS is appreciated!

Good friendly advice with lots of maps and ideas.

I ain't askeert of exploring deep into Nevada... the Nevada someone who sticks only to Hwy 80 never sees.

The past few posts are very helpful.

I'm actually rather confident I'm going to find a nugget or 10 of gold. Isn't that dream of gold why we do this in the first place?

Part of me wonders if there is another gold lode vein out there just waiting to be found. That up some obscure isolated valley lies a vein with massive amounts of gold there for the prospecting.

Anyway I've been studying how to read the townships, ranges etc and I appreciate what you all are posting.

The weather can be brutal this time of year and I'll go in prepared.

Thanks so much fellow gold-fever people!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Dawg the best advise I can give you would be to make a visit to the country recorders office your first stop when you get to Nevada. Have a list of the townships(s), range(s) and Sections you want to go explore. Most county recorders these days have at least one public computer you can use to look up claim info on. That is the ONLY way you can be sure that the area(s) you wish to explore are unclaimed. You can also find out which areas are already claimed so you can avoid them. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so to do your search and it would be time well spent. If you really need a printout of certain pages, most county recorders can do that for you for about a dollar a page.

On another note I've got a friend in Sugarland that comes out here to Arizona to do his prospecting. He got tired of busting his butt for fly poop in the Lano River. If you listen to the PBS radio station on Sundays he does the Bluegrass Zone show in the afternoons. Might not be a bad idea to try getting in touch with him. PM me if you're interested and I'll see what I can do to get you guys together even if for nothing other than a talk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread