Blood red gold?!

WildWill

Feb 8, 2013
Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey y'all, I found a few nuggets and pickers lately, lots of the piece have red swaths running on them? Would it be rust? Iron? Idk that's why im asking you! Lol

ForumRunner_20131017_063616.png

ForumRunner_20131017_063637.png

Upvote 0

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
More than likely iron stained, a quick trip to your local Ace hardware for some Wink rust remover, it will take care of it PDQ

OP
OP
WildWill

WildWill

Feb 8, 2013
Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ahh that makes sense, I found an old square nail mixed in with it, the dam nail went through my classifier, and sluice. found it on my miller table looking at it like wtf? Lol pretty cool that it made it through all the screens.

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello WildWill, whether the patina is from a rusty nail or a million years of setting in black sands I myself prefer to not clean those pieces. There are many collectors out there that prefer them that way, small or large. If you are finding lots of gold that is iron stained, (patina) it could be a possible indicator that the area was part of the main pay lead of an old channel. You may want to investigate further, just my ideas. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Iron oxide staining! I've been finding gold that has that kind of staining too. Iron causes red staining and when it's coated in black stuff it's manganese.

OP
OP
WildWill

WildWill

Feb 8, 2013
Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey thank you much guys, after further digging in the hole, most of the gold is cleared out, 9 grams in 2 trips, can't argue with that!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice lil'picker-soak in bleach and it'll be a peach instead of a prune. Good ol'glorious gold comes in many colors in accordance to form of creation,what minerals are adjacent or junk it's concentrated with and laid there awhile. My favorite is flat jet black maganese colored nuggets,splash a lil' bleach on them and it's like magic as that screaming yellow appears...sooo cool-John

OP
OP
WildWill

WildWill

Feb 8, 2013
Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Haven't found black gold yet, one day maybe lol, what areas in ca produce black gold?

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Haven't found black gold yet, one day maybe lol, what areas in ca produce black gold?

I find manganese coated gold in placer county. I don't like it because it hides the gold really well.. And it's kind of ugly. Makes gold look like little black rocks.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
South Yuba River, between Washington and Edwards crossing, has some black gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread