Blue and Yellow run off/ mud in old mine opening

ChiefHuba

Feb 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own property with lots of small depression and mines I think from the 1930's. However I recently began removing dirt from the face of on and discovered a strange blue clay. I had hoped the water coming from the hill was signs of a natural spring I could take advantage of, however the water has a sulfury smell and leaves a strange yellow substance where it runs over the blue mud/clay/rock. Also there is ore cart tracks coming out of the hill, I hope to get move excavated soon.

I was wondering what causes this blue/yellow fenominom and also what they might have been mining, I am in Northern California thus naturally assumed gold. However when I search blue clay online I see it is a sign of either silver or diamonds?

Thank you in advance for your help.

the red rock/clay on the ground in the picture fell from the ceiling.

IMG_1443.jpg

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The yellow in the water is most likely sulfur compounds leached out of the ground, but without testing there's no telling what else is in it. The blue clay is VERY interesting. I'm no expert on it, but please do some google searching for "blue lead" with gold deposits.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

ChiefHuba

Feb 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done a fair amount of googling on the "blue lead" and believe there is a good chance my property is in line with what is believed to be the ancient river route. Sulfur is definitely my guess for the rotten egg smell coming out of the area. Does anyone know where I can research old mining operations? I have been trying to find information on my area however can't seem to find anything specific to my property, which is strange with the amount of mines/holes and equipment etc that is just lying in the mud around us.

sry if this seems vague, but we already have enough trouble with people trying to pan/prospect our creeks and digging the banks up. luckily no one has discovered the tunnels in the hill yet lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

ChiefHuba

Feb 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
who do I contact? where do I go to have the mud assayed? what does that entail?

Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to this place, Chief,

I'd call the Mackay School of Mines at the University of Nevada - Reno and ask for assayer recommendations.

InsideAssayOffice.jpg

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The Comstock Lode in Nevada was discovered by gold miners that were having troubles getting the gold out of the sticky blue clay. Come to find out, the blue clay causing the problems was silver, and the rest is history.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread