Oakstrails

May 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Just Me
For the time being
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for your reply. This 100 mesh stuff seems to take forever but I think the blue bowl might be the best bet. Not sure if it is worth the time. Going to try building a chalk board miller table next for my super fines. Good Luck

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be something else? I occasionally find shiney black and gray bits. Any way to tell if its platinum or silver without serious analysis?
thanks-

OP
OP
Oakstrails

Oakstrails

May 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Just Me
For the time being
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
russau said:
im also useing the slate Miller table to clean my cons.i also have the Blue Bowl.

How effective is your slate (chalkboard?) Miller table at getting all your fines & super fines.

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could it be something else? I occasionally find shiney black and gray bits. Any way to tell if its platinum or silver without serious analysis?
thanks-

In a clean pan, throw in some of the black & gray bits along with some similarly shaped/sized fine gold and and see how they move in relation to each other.

Platinum is heavier than gold, but not much heavier, but silver is only half as heavy and the weight of alloys depends upon composition.
Sometimes gold is not yellow and the silver bits could be alloys.

I get a lot of very fine silver/grey heavies which are far heavier than hematite and while I think a good portion of it is lead, I've been keeping them in a jar to send off for a melt if and when I ever get curious enough.

MontanaLon

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In a clean pan, throw in some of the black & gray bits along with some similarly shaped/sized fine gold and and see how they move in relation to each other.

Platinum is heavier than gold, but not much heavier, but silver is only half as heavy and the weight of alloys depends upon composition.
Sometimes gold is not yellow and the silver bits could be alloys.

I get a lot of very fine silver/grey heavies which are far heavier than hematite and while I think a good portion of it is lead, I've been keeping them in a jar to send off for a melt if and when I ever get curious enough.

Have you tried melting it yourself? Lead melts easily, silver is a bit more difficult and platinum is very difficult.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread