Blue Bowl Pump Power Supply

Bigwill

Dec 21, 2011
Washington Co. Al
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I ordered a Blue Bowl kit with the 12v water pump. I prefer not to have to use a battery as the power source since I will be using this in my garage and dont want to buy a battery and battery charger. I have checked Radio Shack, Lowes & Home Depot for a voltage transformer 120v ac to 12v dc but I am not sure what to get. Looks like the pump draws about 4amps. Can any of you electrical savvy prospectors give me your opinions as to what would be best suitable for this application?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
I use a 112 volt sump pump, small one and save the 12 volt for the field off truck battery.

OP
OP
Bigwill

Bigwill

Dec 21, 2011
Washington Co. Al
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Hefty1. I see the below from Walmart website. Seems to me that this is what I need. 6 Amp so should be plenty for the Blue Bowl pump

0002666670906_180X180.jpg

The Schumacher DC to AC Converter can convert 120-volts AC household power to 12-volts DC power. Perfect for 12-volt travel coolers, lights, and other accessories, this DC to Ac power converter extends the convenience of using your 12-volts accessories anywhere, be it in a hotel, room, or at home. It features a 6 amp 12 volt socket.

Schumacher PC-6 DC to AC Converter:Converts 120-volts AC household power to 12-volts DC power
Use for 12-volts travel coolers 12-volts lights and other accessories
1.75-lbs.
Model PC-6

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bigwill,
I just use a water pump used for yard ponds. You can pick them up at any place that sells landscaping supplies. Propbably cheaper than a power converter.

B H Prospector

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Found that Walmart ad. LOL
Yup they captioned it DC to AC but then said AC to DC in the fine print.
<$18 ain't bad. That is for unregulated DC power so not good for critical things.
Pumps are not picky about that.
Not sure what the GPH/GPM the blue bowl needs so can't say about sump pump costs.
Grey

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I process on the lawn,by my huge trees with water from the spigot and water the foliage at the same time-2 things done at once gives me more play time-John

FDray

Tenderfoot
Apr 17, 2012
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
250-watt-at-power-supply-fsp-spi-250g-350x350.gif I use an old ATX Computer power supply, free mostly! Any Yellow wire is 12 volts 6 amps and and the black wire is Neg. works great on my bluebowl. Just used it yesterday finding some Missouri Glacial gold. Have to add to this, On the ATX supply you have to jumper the green wire on the motherboard connector to any black wire to make it run. Its the biggest connector on the power supply. On an AT power supply ( the best one to use) it will have a power button, push on, push off. power-supply-connections-labeled.jpg

Last edited:

apynckel

Greenie
Apr 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the thread necromance, has anyone found anything more "safe" around water than the PC power supply option?

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Using this in conjunction with a ground fault circuit interrupter may be a good idea to trip the circuit incase of any shock hazard you may get into! Just to be on the safe side!:occasion14:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In addition to the GFI, it should be screwed to a shelf located where it can’t get wet, with an extension cord running to the operation. Any power source that plugs into 120V is going to be subject to shock hazards.
If you want waterproof...your talking a large 12 volt battery with solar charger. Buried in the ground will maintain constant temperature. We have something like that that powers an automatic gate.

Last edited:

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a jump start pack from Harbor. $39.95, keep it plugged in and it stays charged, runs my blue bowl, and in the field keeps cell phone, blue tooth speakers, and any other device charged for three days. If it needs to be charged, just hook it to truck battery and start it to recharge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions