Blue-collar detecting paying the bills like nobody business.

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

000.jpg

Like all detectorists, I live for the finest finds – and I’ve scored some winners during my nearly 50 years of detecting. But, I now want to offer a video look at what finds are paying for my machines – many times over. This is my most recent load of detected blue-collar metals; pushing 150 pounds. I suspect I’m easily approaching $2,000 in scrap therein – and every single piece was found by my Fisher CZ-3D. I’ve already reached $4,000 in previous sales of my “highly mature” scrap. And there’s nobody doubting I got my metal fair and square. One look says there’s no funny business with this guy’s scrap.

Upvote 10

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
says video is private. can not watch.

Off n On

Mar 16, 2014
So. Cal. Orange County
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 300
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all adds up! After a few years I turned in 30 lbs of bottle caps - lol

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You aren't going to make to many friends putting a video in your message marked private that people can't watch.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not directing referring directly to you, but when people accumulate that much aluminum, copper or silver in such a short time, you really have to wonder, I mean there is not that much "scrap copper" and aluminum just lying around in public places......You gotta love scrap medalists, twice in my life I've had all the copper wiring stripped out of vacant rental property for what I estimate to be about $50 worth of copper.....
On one modern home I had to spend
$3200 for a complete rewire and an additional $1000 plus 10 days repairing and replacing drywall....
Its amazing that these animals do so much, damage, so fast for so little......

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I have absolutely NO compassion for the idiots you see on the news that are found electrocuted trying to steal electrical wiring. We had a rash of thieving SOB's here after the flood a couple years ago. To me, a thief is no better than a murderer or rapist and should have a little vigilante justice since our justice system seems to give them more rights than we home owners have.

Graysondigger

Jan 14, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's awesome. I have about 50 pounds of assorted brass and copper that I need to sort. Lot's of people don't think of doing that but the bottom line is it's cash!
Thanks for posting!..HH!

Last edited:

Kaleb71386

Dec 31, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350. Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even iron is worth cash I keep it all to one day cash in only been at it one year and I have a good size box of scrap going

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yeah, I have absolutely NO compassion for the idiots you see on the news that are found electrocuted trying to steal electrical wiring. We had a rash of thieving SOB's here after the flood a couple years ago. To me, a thief is no better than a murderer or rapist and should have a little vigilante justice since our justice system seems to give them more rights than we home owners have.

Well said!

sent from a potato...

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to keep like items. I have 5 lbs of pack studs. Almost positive they're copper because they read much better than brass.

Congrats,

Buck

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I followed the link which took me to a Google sign in. I signed in my account. It said "no videos found". I just ended up going on You Tube and searching Blue Collar Metal detecting... found it.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Video played for me. Awesome job on the scrappin', I also scrap wire when I find it (not from MDng though), mostly lengths under a foot I find in the garbage. It took me an entire year to get a 5gal bucket 2/3 filled but I stripped it to get the #1, twisted them to make it compact and got just over $100 for it. Took it in and weighed it and the guy tipped the bucket to see if it was weighted LOL.

Its kinda like a 2nd hobby sitting in the garage sippin on beer with the radio on strippin wire - and it pays too LOL :headbang::headbang: :headbang:

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I watched the video here on the TNET - worked fine for me. That's quite amazing. And yes, I recognize a lot of those items. I need to do a better job of separating my stuff though. Thanks for the tip!

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Great work and advice. I've paid for all my detectors by recycling dug scrap. in digging season I average $150-200 per month :) HH to ya!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$2,000.oo for 150 pounds. Over $13.oo/pound Is very optimistic to say the least.

New metal prices.

Nickel $ 7.35
Copper $ 3.01
Lead, Zinc, Aluminum about $ 1.00 each
Kitco - Base Metals - Industrial metals - Copper, Aluminum, Nickel, Zinc, Lead - Charts, Prices, Graphs, Quotes, Cu, Ni, Zn, Al, Pb

Scrap dealers need a profit to stay in business, and pay less than that.
I'm sure some are better than others, but this would be "typical"
Scrap Metal Prices Per Pound- Rockaway Recycling

Clean copper is stated at $ 2.65, which would be a very reasonable by price as only 0.36 cents less than new.

And yes I do save copper, brass, lead. When I worked in a machine shop we always saved the brass chips, by the bucket fulls.

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You aren't going to make to many friends putting a video in your message marked private that people can't watch.

Today, the video came up fine. Good job!
I used to save everything and sell it, but since getting back into metal detecting, the last year or two I had just been throwing it in the trash. After watching your video, I'll probably start keeping it again.
Thanks for sharing & HH

OP
OP
tigerbeetle

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rick, this video is ONLY my old "canned" stuff, vintage metal, so to speak. I have loads and loads more -- not old, but still found with a detector -- to go to the scrap guy. I recently found over 200 feet of maybe 10- gauge copper wire behind an abandoned garage. By the by, I can quote metal prices in a heartbeat. I'll show the receipt after my next sale. Maybe do a video of taking it in. The boys love looking through my weird stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread