Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is my first post although I have been on this forum for quite some time-enjoy looking at all the great finds and appreciate the knowlege on this site.
This is an unusual find and I am wondering if any of you think it is old or not. I found it while looking at some new survey lines we had done and was not out treasure hunting at all, but my eyes are always toward the ground.
It was found in the sandy part of a dry run and that run is located about 30 yards below a known old road bed (approx 1900). 1/2 of the glass was sticking out and I thought it was an old bottle.
Turns out it is a solid, cobalt blue glass cube. It measures 1.5 inches cubed and does not appear to have any machine marks on it. Will try and resize some photos but the one pic I am attaching shows the cube as well as the face that has some faded dimple-like patterns on it.
Appreciate any help or info. Thanks.

Attachments

• Cobalt blue cube 003.jpg
    Cobalt blue cube 003.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 541
Upvote 0

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't get a good look at your find but it sures looks like solid glass "ice cubes" I once found in an Art Deco bottle dump site (dating roughly 1920 to 1940). I found a dozen and an old-timer told me he remembers when they were popular for display -- and in drinks. Yep, drinks. Can you imagine trying to bite down on one of those cubes? I think they were chilled first, then used.

OP
OP
Palmetto

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will try and resize-not having too much luck at it.
I could see how that would be a use as it is solid and would definitley "cool" a drink down if frozen.
Thanks for the input.

Paul4x4

Dec 31, 2007
Finland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac/Pro-Pointer/Ace 250
That's a very cool find! :thumbsup:

Here you go, I resized it for you! :wink:

Attachments

• Cobalt blue cube 003.jpg
    Cobalt blue cube 003.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 400