Blue Glass or Blue Gemstones?

Aquitaine

Dec 8, 2021
British Columbia
This is a heavy, sterling silver bracelet from Mexico that has a stamp with initials on the back of it near the clasp, and it's a recent thrift store find. It's in excellent condition, very unique and the stones look like royal blue glass or could I be mistaken?? From the descriptions I've read, it's a vintage piece 1950's or so...and it varies in price from $135.00 - to one seller on eBay for $4500. Yikes! Who's right?

Attachments

• Vintage- Silver-Bracelet-Blue-Stones.jpg
    Vintage- Silver-Bracelet-Blue-Stones.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 28
  • Mexico-Back-of-Bracelet.jpg
    Mexico-Back-of-Bracelet.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 28

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funky bracelet, but it’s a common design, churned out in quantity from Mexico c.1950s from Taxco. The mark is simply “Hecho en Mexico” (made in Mexico). Although you say it’s Sterling silver (and so do some sellers), it’s unlikely to be so unless it has a sterling mark. Does it? They’re usually made of “Alpaca silver”, which is a base-metal alloy of copper, nickel, and zinc with various other names (German silver etc) formulated as a silver imitation, and with glass stones.

Price-wise they’re usually offered at asking prices in the region of $70 upwards:

$70

$79

$88 (reduced from $110)

$120

$125

$140

$155

$219

OP
OP
Aquitaine

Aquitaine

Dec 8, 2021
British Columbia
This is a heavy, sterling silver bracelet from Mexico that has a stamp with initials on the back of it near the clasp, and it's a recent thrift store find. It's in excellent condition, very unique and the stones look like royal blue glass or could I be mistaken?? From the descriptions I've read, it's a vintage piece 1950's or so...and it varies in price from $135.00 - to one seller on eBay for $4500. Yikes! Who's right?
Thanks for your reply and input. It's difficult to see a marking of silver although it has initials that I would presume are from the maker. It cleaned up beautifully will silver polish, hence my thinking it is 925. From a thriftstore it's a nice find. :)

OP
OP
Aquitaine

Aquitaine

Dec 8, 2021
British Columbia
Funky bracelet, but it’s a common design, churned out in quantity from Mexico c.1950s from Taxco. The mark is simply “Hecho en Mexico” (made in Mexico). Although you say it’s Sterling silver (and so do some sellers), it’s unlikely to be so unless it has a sterling mark. Does it? They’re usually made of “Alpaca silver”, which is a base-metal alloy of copper, nickel, and zinc with various other names (German silver etc) formulated as a silver imitation, and with glass stones.

Price-wise they’re usually offered at asking prices in the region of $70 upwards:

$70

$79

$88 (reduced from $110)

$120

$125

$140

$155

$219
Thank you for all the links with the bracelet and the range of prices. Did you see the seller asking $4500? Lol....I guess if he/she can get it then why not try, although do the research!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for all the links with the bracelet and the range of prices. Did you see the seller asking $4500? Lol....I guess if he/she can get it then why not try, although do the research!

You're welcome. No, I didn't see the seller asking that exorbitant price. It's completely unrealistic, even if what was being offered was sterling silver (but I'm guessing was not). There's nothing to stop you posting links to listings on eBay, Etsy or whatever.

OP
OP
Aquitaine

Aquitaine

Dec 8, 2021
British Columbia
You're welcome. No, I didn't see the seller asking that exorbitant price. It's completely unrealistic, even if what was being offered was sterling silver (but I'm guessing was not). There's nothing to stop you posting links to listings on eBay, Etsy or whatever.
I guess these people feel if they can get away with a ridiculous asking price then so be it. It's too bad though. I think it was on eBay that is spotted it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread