5-BFB4-B39-A0-F8-4-DE5-A22-C-71-ECDD1-A6327.jpg
6977-AA9-A-F9-FB-4-E78-A5-A5-7-FB67-B46250-B.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, not an artifact, natural stone.... Welcome to TreasureNet...

Missouri Breaks

Mar 21, 2021
CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think about the handle when considering a club or axe. What would’ve the construction of the entire piece look like. Would’ve it had been intended for long duration outings or kept closer to camp. I’m seeing the shape with the two sides etc., one hammer like, the other axe but overall it’s not a 100 percent clear piece to me... Seeing the other ones you posted, now leaning neutral to man made, old. Just difficult with pictures alone and context unknown etc.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Others he has posted are natural, made by mother nature, one is Omar other is natural stone.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
where do you see the bit to be?

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to be a smart alec, but just what do you see on that stone that makes you believe it's an Axe? It has no Blade on it. Shows no evidence of pecking or grinding or ever being altered by man. Has no groove for hafting, etc.

These are actual Stone Tools.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    773.8 KB · Views: 66

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
and they are obvious too... no need to ask.

Missouri Breaks

Mar 21, 2021
CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a nice display. I guess I’m sympathetic towards maybe’s to a point. There’s a rustic class of basalt pieces and other materials in my area which includes the harder rock making tools, pecking etc and some seemingly basic acorn and other nut pounders, as well as the small game skull crushers. Also, digging tools and hand axes are elusive because they were often worked down a lot. But, definitely this piece is questionable and if I give it more consideration probably natural. It’s just I spent a lifetime picking up obsidian until I realized there were super cool basalt points, scrapers, tanners etc that I’d overlooked or been uncertain as to what they were. On the west coast you have to have an open mind.

outlaws15

Jul 1, 2020
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very impressive display

Not trying to be a smart alec, but just what do you see on that stone that makes you believe it's an Axe? It has no Blade on it. Shows no evidence of pecking or grinding or ever being altered by man. Has no groove for hafting, etc.

These are actual Stone Tools.

OP
OP
N

Node

Greenie
Jul 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to say thanks to those who added some construct to there opinions on this stone. I probably posted these in haste as this stone is extremely difficult to represent in 2D. The gabbro is like predator camo which makes the stone's angles hard to define. There is also the striking contrast from the 90 degree handle to the head's curves which is hard to fully understand with holding it.

For those doubting this stone based on it's lack of a wood handle feature, like a number of stone tools there is some overlap on the use of terms, so please allow some variance with my subject title choice. It's easy to get conditioned to the type of tools found in a particular area or from a particular time. This is a bit of an odd duck. I am probably leaning towards something between a hand chopper and hand axe (shaping wood not felling trees)

As asked in one of the replies - What is it about this stone that makes me think it man made?

Fair question.

1. The fully 90 degree rectangle handle that quickly transfers into a curvy wedge is not natural. This was the only reason I did not put this stone down after uncovering it. It felt unnatural so I added to the backpack for a closer look later.

2. The bottom is flat and much smoother than other facets.
a. Not natural with respect to this stone's other features
b. Shows this stone could have been used as a hand axe\chopper\bone crusher and a grinder

3. There are a number of area's that have distinct pecking evidence. See Pics.

4. The front edge has two very distinct impact fractures. See Pics

5. It is the correct material for a tool of this area - Wisconsin

6. It size and shape are in-line for a hand held tool (4.5" Long | Head 3.5" Wide). Weight 570 Grams

7. And the strongest attribute that makes me believe this stone is man made, it fits well in your grip. ;)

On to pics

Picking to shape left side handle - Red border (Viewed from bottom of the stone | Left when viewing from handle to head)

West-Grip-Pecking.png

Picking to shape top side handle - Orange border (viewed from top of the stone)

West-Grip-Top-Pecking.png

Picking to shape right side handle - Red border

East-Curve-Pecking.png

Picking on bottom head - Red border

Bottom.png

Striking edge impact fractures - Red arrows

Impact-Fracture.png

Bottom view in response to comment that the stone does not have the shape of an axe. I think Mindcraft owes me some royalties.

Minecraft.png

Bottom line, I think this is an old stone tool which has seen considerable use. Probably looked a bit different when it was first made. I would assume the front edge would have been further extended and with a decreased angle.

Thanks for all the replies.

Ken...

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Believe what you wish. If you want a definitive answer, take the item to a professional that specializes in North American artifacts for an opinion. Pay the fee that will be charged. Return, and report. Easy.

Time for more coffee.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Fred Flintstone and minecraft did not add to the NA tool kit. Fitting in your hand means (truly) nothing. If this was pecked to fit and strike it would not be in question and it would not be so crude, if the time was taken to rough it out, very little effort would have remained to finish it and this rock is in no way "finished". As an axe it has no bit, as a pestle it has no use.

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been in the same shoes your wearing believe me and members. What you have is just a natural weathered stone. My obsession with geofacts was out of control, to put it simply almost every stone i dug in my back yard fit perfectly. I knew i had found something that no one else has found hundreds and hundreds of Native American artifacts well i took them to a Museum and one of the people there said no artifacts just weathered stones. Good luck.

OP
OP
N

Node

Greenie
Jul 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fred Flintstone and minecraft did not add to the NA tool kit. Fitting in your hand means (truly) nothing. If this was pecked to fit and strike it would not be in question and it would not be so crude, if the time was taken to rough it out, very little effort would have remained to finish it and this rock is in no way "finished". As an axe it has no bit, as a pestle it has no use.

The Minecraft and stone hand fit reference were obviously meant to be facetious. If that was not how it came across and I need to account for the lowest common denominator, then I offer you my most sincere apologies.

So your supporting argument is that a stone tool cannot be crudely produced so it can not be a tool? Think about your first attempt at anything. Was the product of that effort equal to the same task after gaining years of experience? Are ALL stone tools created equally across all peoples and all timeframes?

Regarding your other view, it does not matter if this stone tool does not meet your knowledge of tool classifications for North American stone tools created in the last 10,000+ years.

Craftmanship and misclassification does not discount evidence of the stones obvious hand shaping.

I sure hope your "NA tool kit" reference is not an attack on my person. I am going to assume it's not, and whish you a good day.

Good day,

Ken...

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Ken, this is not a personal attack, it is about your rock

when you say "does not meet your knowledge" you are denigrating all comments not in agreement with you
have you not noticed that there is no agreement with your evaluation?
examples of pecked and ground rock artifacts abound on this site (search even my threads)
you have a rock

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread