Blue & San Francisco Rivers, AZ.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Blue & San Francisco Rivers, AZ.

??? Does anyone have anything on the lost treasure or gold mine, near where the Blue And the San Francisco Rivers meet in Eastern Az.?
I have a partial story, and Can't remember :P the whole version!
I am going to be over there looking for another site, this coming month!
AND!
I'd like to have more information, if possible, on this!

Colorado Bob

May 6, 2005
Re: Blue & San Francisco Rivers, AZ.

CPTBIL,
Was it a lost placer, your talking about? And did it have a name?

JACKOJohn Stanwix

Dec 20, 2004
HEAVEN

Cptbil- I'll ask on Nuggetshooter. com if anyone has heard of it. there's some old timers that hang out there.

Jacko

JACKOJohn Stanwix

Dec 20, 2004
HEAVEN

Cptbil--- One man is trying to locate the info. He remembers reading about it. Another said it was the Lost Burro Mine. A burro was found with bags of gold. The miner was never located.

Jacko

OP
OP
cptbil

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx

Jacki:
"That rings a Bell!" ::)
I believe that may be it! :D
I did find some reference to the story on one of my maps! (I use "code numbers", much easier :P than trying to write the whole thing on the edges of a map(s)
I will run that down in my research material !
But!
:D I think that you have it! ;D
Thanks! (To Everyone!)
But! :)
Let's also hear what the rest of you guys found , too!
Since, I am going to be in the area...anyway!
cptbil

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona

cptbil said:
Jacki:
"That rings a Bell!"? ::)
I believe that may be it!? ?:D
I did find some reference to the story on one of my maps!? ?(I use "code numbers", much easier? ?:P? than trying to write the whole thing on the edges of a map(s)?
I will run that down in my research material !
But!
? :D? I think that you have it!? ?;D
Thanks! (To Everyone!)
But!? :)
Let's also hear what the rest of you guys found , too!
Since, I am going to be in the area...anyway!
cptbil
Where and when bill I just might be able to join you for a while just where and when.. :'( Buck

OP
OP
cptbil

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx

:) BUCK!
I have hopes ::) of getting on the road this week ;)
I have to meet some friends in El Paso, Las Cruces & Sorroco,
Then set up and do some drilling on a site..
I think the hole will be around 50' !
Then we'll drop the camera in and see if they have what they think!
::) From there I am heading down to the Caballo Mnts and check out a cave that I found last Nov.
All of this should, if nothing develops :'( with the 1st two sites,
Put me in Eastern Arizona around the 1st on August!
I'll be in Arizona from then until, probably fall/winter! :P
I have 4 sites, in Arizona, that I need to get checked out & ???
AND! :-\
One claim that I want reevaluate and set up in the Bradshaws.

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona

cptbil said:
:)? BUCK!
I have hopes? ? ::)? of getting on the road this week? ;)
? ::)? ? ?From there I am heading down to the Caballo Mnts and check out a cave that I found last Nov.
All of this should, if nothing develops? ?:'(? with the 1st two sites,
I'll be in Arizona from then until, probably fall/winter!? :P
AND! ? :-\
now you talking for I have two sites that I am working in thaa area(bradshaws) so Give me a call when you reach az ;)Buck

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS

Bill:
I have an 1864 military report about a patrol in that area (Col. Oscar M. Brown, First California Cavalry). The report mentions "...remains of an old camp and indications of considerable work done in gold digging. Some of my men, having received permission, sunk or rather opened up, one or two holes and got a very good prospect of fine quality gold." This patrol was zigzagging all through the hills looking for Indians north of the Gila and up the San Francisco and Blue Rivers.

P

pamk

Springfield, would like to know more about the Brown report. Been a long time since I visited with you. Tried to email but it bounced back. Pam Kincaid

S

Sonoita Bob

Greetings PamK and Springfield,
It's been a long time since our enlightening discussions on the old T-Net forum about the Lost Adam's Diggings.

The Col. Brown military report of Oct 1 - Nov 27, 1864 can be found in the War of the Rebellion Series 1 Vol XLI (Part 1 Reports) pages 867 thru 878 incl. This is the same military report Ron Jensen reported on in his LAD website disclosure as the basis for his Lost Adams area hunts. www.lostadams.com
By the way Pam, our old friend Capt. Shirland was also mentioned in Col Brown's report as having been there before (San Francisco River gold placers) according to the same guide for both expeditions. I cross checked Capt. Shirland in every volume of the War of the Rebellion but could not find any expedition report to that area.

As a side note, an old Arizona Geologist Tom Childs staked some rich gold placer claims on the San Francisco River (near the Blue junction) in the 70's - formed an OTC stock company called SUNGOLD. I bought some shares but, unfortunately Tom died shortly thereafter and SUNGOLD went into obscurity as he was the driving force. Capt Bill: you or anyone researching the County Recorders office or BLM claims books should be able to come up with the claim location.

Regards,
Sonoita Bob

Desertdigger

Jul 15, 2004
Wickenberg , AZ
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,Tesoro Lobo ST, Gold Bug ,Minelab probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sonita Bob, When I was last there 3 years ago there were current claim stakes on those claims. CPT BIL is supposed to be up there in that area soon so maybe he will fill us in. Now would be a good time to check the river bed because I doubt that there is any water this year. Thats a fun road to get in there on no matter which way you come! DD

P

pamk

It has been a while Sonita Bob. It was Springfield quote that caught my eye. Would still like to see the record that Jensen claims to have on the rescue. The only thing new I have come up with lately is that Spurgeon and his family were living in Sante Fe on 1880 census. Which leads more credit to John Dowling story that Sturgeon shows up in Socorro in 1881. It also explains the letter I have from Sturgeon's gggrandson that he knew the doctor went back to New Mexico but never knew why. Makes you wonder how long Sturgeon hung around in New Mexico since he brought his family with him from Ohio.

Desertdigger

Jul 15, 2004
Wickenberg , AZ
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,Tesoro Lobo ST, Gold Bug ,Minelab probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am reviving this post in the hope that someone knows what happened to Cpt Bil. He has not posted since near this time and also he regularly e-mails me from wherever he is camped. As far as I know he has nothing but his jeep, utility trailer and dog. He has been in the veterans Hospital in the past and maybe some one near Tuscon, AZ can call the hospital there and check. I am down in Baja and have direcway Satellite service but no phone service.
If possible lets try to find and help this old Veteran-Prospecter and Treasure hunter!
Thanks
Desertdigger

cptbil said:
:)? BUCK!
I have hopes? ? ::)? of getting on the road this week? ;)
? ::)? ? ?From there I am heading down to the Caballo Mnts and check out a cave that I found last Nov.
All of this should, if nothing develops? ?:'(? with the 1st two sites,
I'll be in Arizona from then until, probably fall/winter!? :P
AND! ? :-\

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona

Desertdigger cptbil sent me a note under cache hunting you want to read it for it was the last message that I got from him good luck Buck

JACKOJohn Stanwix

Dec 20, 2004
HEAVEN

Desertdigger--- Cptbil, left AZ quickly, and went home. I'll let him tell you why. He's OK, Has something to do with TH hunting.

Jacko

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread