Blue stone & copper coil

May 15, 2023
I found this snorkeling in Isabella Puerto Rico. The blue material feels like stone. And the copper coils appear to be copper. Itā€™s about 1 1/2ā€x1 1/2ā€. It weighs 24 grams.
Any guesses?
967FEEEA-7D70-4984-A2D2-2D9A2F041299.jpeg
C0087A13-16A5-4A69-8520-1EEF93ED10E3.jpeg
B639CA08-B961-43AC-97BF-2FF0FFDC528D.jpeg
1CF58387-E0B8-4911-A4A2-D72541CE2AE5.jpeg

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know is it old? From first 2 pics it resembled a New Age type stone they hold a pendulum over for certain uses. Not sure "what" now seeing views the other way around.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blue material feels like stone

Can you tell if a real stone? A New Age stone will be genuine natural rock (except for fused crystal).

Last edited:

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a piece of ceramic attached to copper as a pendant for some kind of jewelry. Hard to tell without seeing it in person. Whats going on with the bottom there? Your pic of it is very blurry.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

The above link explains how to make blue crystals from copper.
The artifact looks like a transformer coil that spent some time in a sulfur rich environment.
Very intriguing result and quite beautiful.
very definitely something along these lines.... a broken and abandoned piece of some machine part.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to see all the details when viewing a photo. Side angle pic made it uncertain as to "what" it could be until now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J
May 15, 2023
very definitely something along these lines.... a broken and abandoned piece of some machine part.
And practically speaking I agree. But what is the multi layered blue ā€œstoneā€? It is so uniformly attached around the coils. And rock rock hard. Tap it on glass or marble & it sounds like stone.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to repost some better photos with better lighting. Agreed. Do I need to start another thread or can I add photos to this one?
Copper is widely used by New Age people in many ways. I saw photos someone made a copper spiraling coil for dowsing pendulum. I watched a video of a person using a stone object that size. Don't remember the name of it. Never noticed if there was a copper coil in the center. Hard to see the middle because of swinging pendulum.

Photos are fine just the object was uncertain. If you want I can give photos a look to people who would know for sure if New Age.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see now from already posted photos it is an odd shape. At first it looked to me like a heart shaped copper coil on top of a stone. Another possibility is a weird piece of artwork.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of what we were thinking. Prefer it was old jewelry but those copper coils seem from a machined part.
If the blue stone is rough and your find was made in salt water, it could be concretion stone colored blue by the copper.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Way too cool! Looks like a fancy, artistic item, created to look like that. Iā€™d guess that the copper ā€œhandleā€ became damaged at some point.
Possibly lost over the side of a boat, or by a swimmer. I donā€™t have the best imagination though.ā˜ŗļø I hope it gets figured out. šŸ€

OP
OP
J
May 15, 2023
If the blue stone is rough and your find was made in salt water, it could be concretion stone colored blue by the copper.
Stone is very smooth. But then again it has been tumbled in the ocean in sand and over rocks, making it NOW smooth, so could be. And I definitely found it in salt water. Atlantic Ocean.

OP
OP
J
May 15, 2023
Way too cool! Looks like a fancy, artistic item, created to look like that. Iā€™d guess that the copper ā€œhandleā€ became damaged at some point.
Possibly lost over the side of a boat, or by a swimmer. I donā€™t have the best imagination though.ā˜ŗļø I hope it gets figured out. šŸ€
Thatā€™s what we thought about the copper ā€œhandleā€. You can see how it was once round but got caved in.
Hoping ancient jewelry but who knows.
We have a decent archeological department here at our local university. I think I may take it in. Some great theories and guesses here on this site but nothing concrete.
Would love to just know for sure.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thatā€™s what we thought about the copper ā€œhandleā€. You can see how it was once round but got caved in.
Hoping ancient jewelry but who knows.
We have a decent archeological department here at our local university. I think I may take it in. Some great theories and guesses here on this site but nothing concrete.
Would love to just know for sure.
See what they say... ancient burial jewelry could fit your find since designs were specified in Egyptian culture. A burial amulet in jewelry form (silver scarab bracelet, glass gemstone pendant for necklace, electrum gold for burial protection symbols, etc.). Egyption designs once were popular with jewelry makers here in America. Finding an American replica of this ancient jewlry is highly possible. If from a shipwreck it may be the real deal. A weighted heart scarab ritual amulet for the dead used a green (perhaps bluish green?) jasper.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"Jewelry often held apotropaic powers for its wearer ā€“ both living and dead. Color and material were significant, protecting the living from disease and danger and, wrapped within a mummyā€™s bandages, guarding the deceased for eternity. The Book of the Dead, the famed New Kingdom funerary document, prescribes specific materials for certain amulets and often detailed where on the body to include them. Chapter 156 called for red jasper for the girdle tie of the goddess Isis, which was placed on the throat of the mummy. Chapters 159 and 160 assigned green feldspar for papyrus amulets, and Chapter 30 prescribed what is believed to be green jasper for the heart scarab. The heart scarab amulet was created to aid the deceased in the weighing of the heart ritual in which the justice of oneā€™s heart was weighed against the feather of truth/Maat."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread