BoA branch "never" has half dollars

Plug

Jul 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow coin roll hunters! I just got back into this hobby after many years on hiatus! As I am rusty on the game, I had a couple of questions for you pros:

My local BoA branch never seems to have half dollar rolls when I ask. I had luck getting rolls of halves at another BoA branch where I used to live a long time ago. What gives, has something changed? Anyone know if BoA has a policy against roll searching? I'm going to stop by today and ask them if they can special order me some. Has anyone here ever done that, and do you know if they charge you?

Upvote 0

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
banks dont usually carry halves, thats how it's been. try to get them to order u a box or two.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My local boa said they couldn't get me halves but I was getting dimes and nickels. Then one day I went in and they mistook me for someone else and said they don't have my coin. In talking with them it turns out someone (not me) ordered $30k in nickels! Well I did get my boxes, 3 dimes and 2 nickels, and went on my way. Next week no boxes, no explanation. Following week, told me no more boxes without account and if I open account they could with a fee. I guess mr $30k ruined it.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow coin roll hunters! I just got back into this hobby after many years on hiatus! As I am rusty on the game, I had a couple of questions for you pros:

My local BoA branch never seems to have half dollar rolls when I ask. I had luck getting rolls of halves at another BoA branch where I used to live a long time ago. What gives, has something changed? Anyone know if BoA has a policy against roll searching? I'm going to stop by today and ask them if they can special order me some. Has anyone here ever done that, and do you know if they charge you?

Most banks do not order halves just to have them on hand. The only time most banks will have any halves is when someone else has cashed them in, and another CRHer hasn't beaten you to them.

Some banks will order boxes for free, some will order for a fee, and some won't order at all. All you can really do is ask around and see what is available in your area.

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I was told there would be a fee for me to get CWR from a local bank. After visiting 10 other branches, this one branch told me a fee on CWR! Funny thing is I'm saving the bank money by trading them cash for coins(that were turned in to the bank). I think it's because the fat manager is too lazy to carry a little coin($70 in dimes, $10 in nickels, $50 in quarters, $5 in cents).

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Tellers at all my BOA pick all the rolls that come in. Not so much a few years ago. I've found silver there in loose rolls and partially-full boxes that people return after finding no silver in half the rolls. I've found silver in those also. I've also ordered dimes and halves there, 10+ boxes at a time. Just keep in mind that many bank customers ask for rolls, so nowadays, it's all about being in the right place at the right time.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Like others said they only have what people turn in, sometimes it is dumps, sometimes it is coins just turned in and you just have to hit it right to get them. Most banks will order you a box if you have an account. Dimes and nickel boxes they will give if they have any extra on hand or you can also order them. Your better off just asking if they have any halves instead of asking for rolls as most times they will have a few but not enough for a roll.

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a Chase branch near me that normally has halfs acording to the teller I spoke to but every of bank I have been in only has them when customers bring them in. Unless you order them

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
In talking with them it turns out someone (not me) ordered $30k in nickels!

That's 300 boxes of nickels. Are you sure that's correct? A bank wouldn't be able to hold that much in one sitting, let alone two or three.

OP
OP
Plug

Plug

Jul 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well just an update in case people were wondering...they let me order a box ($500) at no extra fee charge, but it will take a week to get here. $500 was the minimum they would order. I told my coworker and he thinks I'm crazy :tongue3: Oh well, let the fun begin!!!

Last edited:

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told there would be a fee for me to get CWR from a local bank. After visiting 10 other branches, this one branch told me a fee on CWR! Funny thing is I'm saving the bank money by trading them cash for coins(that were turned in to the bank). I think it's because the fat manager is too lazy to carry a little coin($70 in dimes, $10 in nickels, $50 in quarters, $5 in cents).
NEW DUMP BANK!!!

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
crhstreetwalker said:
That's 300 boxes of nickels. Are you sure that's correct? A bank wouldn't be able to hold that much in one sitting, let alone two or three.

That's what she said. Whether accurate or not, I don't know. They hit me with f bomb about ordering boxes so I don't deal with them anymore. I do know some people are hoarding nickels.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread