boat/dredge... is ig possible?

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The way I have done it with an aluminum jon boat is to add an out rigger and have the sluice site between the boat and outrigger and have the engine an pump in the boat.

It works pretty good for moving about on rivers. Idk what your rivers are like but I would not take a fiberglass boat out on the ones where I am. Way to many shallow rocks.

OP
OP
S

soldier1631

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you run into any problems? Do yo have any pictures?

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have only used it for a weekend so far but no problems to speak of. These pics are also for NCclaymaker sorry for taking so long to post.

It was pretty easy to fabricate and a float from a Keene three inch slips right on.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459274578.215472.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459274608.223449.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459274636.684431.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459274675.745186.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459274701.183343.jpg

OP
OP
S

soldier1631

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THAT IS SO COOL! I love it, thanks for the help

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been thinking about this for years. Though slightly different. Why not take a Kayak and mount the dredge motor in it? The jet pump would scoot a kayak right along up the creek. Get to your location and switch it over to dredging mode.

Integrated suction dredge watercraft are the future.

If a guy wanted to get real carried away yah might even be able to mount a sub-surface type sluice inside the kayak and pump the tailing underneath the boat. Most folks wouldnt even know what it was.

When I was a kid this guy kind of kicked us out of a local fishing hole, told us we couldnt be there 'private property'. The next time we sneaked in there to fish some guy had a weird looking boat tied up there with a lawnmower motor running on it. Weird damn looking boat and no a person around in site. why's that motor running? It aint going nowhere it's all tied up. Anyway now that I'm older and more experienced I know that was a keen dredge with the yellow pontoons. Also having read some articles i suspect that may have actually been Dave McCracken, but that's just a guess based on some magazine articles Ive read. Definately gonna go take another look at that section of river one of these days.

Anyways, dredge in a boat seams like a fine idea to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

soldier1631

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks everyone, i kinda thought i was crazy cause i have never seen it done. im gonna go for it!

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my question is 'which I was unable to google satisfactorially' How much thrust can we actually accomplish with a 5hp dredge pump? What are we looking at ? 150 gpm @ 75 psi to 200 gpm @ 165 psi? Now using a proper cone. How much thrust does that give us? Are we talking about putting along? cruising? up on a plane or shooting up white water rapids like a psychopath? I'm guessing it's just not quiet enough to concure any serious rivers like the cowlitz or cispus. I'd love to be wrong of course.

Here is a pdf on what a 'proper cone" looks like. Hmm not sure if the site is set up to handle a .pdf but clicking works.

View attachment art%3A10.1007%2Fs13344-014-0033-4.pdf

Last edited:

kilnmaint

Apr 3, 2009
Homewood, Al
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ragnor, I don't know the physics involved , but basically on a jet drive horsepower equals thrust and speed!! Think about a 110 hp jet ski- 40 MPH. 110 outboard 50 to 60 MPH. my 6 HP pump will only push my boat 4 MPH using the high pressure hose . Not going to bust many rapids that way!! Here is a 8 hp mus motor . 12 to 15 MPH
https://youtu.be/0tmsZ2OuIJ8

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I have to! Every time I drive past a pontoon boat I start thinking of it going up the Missouri River or the Mississippi River and dredgeing when the waters go low in the Fall. use one of them remote under water camaras , so I can operate it from the comforts of the cover of the pontoon boat /radio / and the Bar-B-Q pit going and ofcourse a cold one handy! But here again I sat and staire!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions