Info on 5 inch Keene

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the opportunity to pick up an older Keene 5 inch dredge for a song but I wanted to get your guys opinion on it. Has pretty much everything except the hoses since they dry rotted awhile back. Main question is how hard is it to get seals as parts for that pump and will an 8 hp Honda with that pump power a 5 inch?

Most the newer ones seem to use either 2 6.5 hp motors or 1 11 to 16 hp motor.

Thoughts?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459262939.226989.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459262960.767345.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459262977.711591.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459262990.960174.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459263002.697036.jpg

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keene Eng will have the seals.I had 2 5" triples ,1 with a 8hp and 1 with an 11 hp. Both worked great. The 11 was a PITA for 1 guy to transport but like the man says "More power"!

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I "upgraded" to a 9 hp when my old motor finally gave up the ghost. It's basically the same block, and over simplified, a few tweaks to get that alleged extra HP. I didn't notice a weight difference. I did notice a power increase some, not much but I also changed out the impeller to the 9hp one too. I talked with Mark Keene and decided this was the best option for me. I would do it again if I had to do it over.

I did consider the twin 6.5 hp route (yea I know everything is in cc now) but then I considered all the ripples this would create - two motors to buy and maintain (at the time cost more ) new mounts & balance to the rig, two lighter (some what) trips when hauling in gear vs one etc.

There is an upside to the twin route - run two compressors for more/ better air (with a cost), the ability to "upgrade" to a 6" if you want. Of course you can run that gambit until you are Todd Hoffman and running 3 wash plants and complaining you don't have a enough gravel trucks to feed them.

ratled

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That poor old dredge sure got no love. Pump is flat out rusted to ugly and back. Stick flashlight into pump intake/take apart to examine the impeller to see what is left after abuse. The pontoons are faded bleached out toast and will easily puncture as wax/marlex composition. Box is not a triple as has sides but may be a jerryrig job. Looks like numerous footvalves also. Where can you use a 5" east of the rockies without a massive effort? I've seen better/worse but practicality/investment interesting anyhow. Did engine run-must be water inside or run too long and burn the ceramic seals inside the pump,stick on a water hose and run water while trying, to the blaster nozzle discharge. Lots of luck-John

OP
OP
Mgumby16

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the info hoser! The guy has a bunch of dredge parts laying around for both a 5 and 6 inch dredge. So it will be interesting to see it all. It can all be ugly as crap as long as it's mechanically sound just makes getting a lower price easier lol.

North Carolina allows up to a 5 inch dredge with no permits and I have a few place there that I go.

OP
OP
Mgumby16

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another question will kernes new 5 inch floats fit this older 5 inch dredge. Just in case the floats aren't save able?

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They should. If you have doubts measure the "legs" on your long rails in pic #5 and I'll match up against mine.

ratled

P1000763.JPG

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rails wrong from old to new as have both 4-5" also. Retention slots wrong placement as designed to force new purchase. You can modify ol'school to work though with a few modifications and they will carry the weight on a newer model box BUT in the old days they made some HUGE long boxes with them steel briggs that weighed a bloody ton man,hope that's not one.. I'd go shopping but economic viability of your locale is daunting factor. Lots of luck-John

OP
OP
Mgumby16

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What do you guys think is a reasonable price for this rig wth no hoses. If the motor runs. And he has an 11 hp Honda with no pump that I want with it.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let him keep the floats so you don't have to worry about dumping them, a gently used Honda 11 hp with no pump, and I am assuming no air, and old frame, again assuming it is complete and usable, is that a Proline flair, it looks longer than a Keene (Proline is a better one as Keene didn't get the math right) in good shape, a jet with a lot of life in it - no egg shape and look out for a blister just behind the where the jet comes into the log - and the box with no mats moss etc.

Sound about right?

OP
OP
Mgumby16

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Box has miners moss though it may be unusable. Also the 8 ho motor with 3x4 pump but he also has an 11 without a pump that I'd take as a backup. No air

Idk the make of the flair look like a Keene but also the power jet looks incorporated into the flair like a proline.

I'm going to look at it tomorrow. He currently said 1000 or offer.

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do know that engine/pump combo runs a 5" crashbox triple sluice fine, would think it would be better with the flare since the water and material don't have to travel as far from water as in a crashbox. my buddy was switching to twin 6.5's to use a double inductor and I bought his old one to run my 4".

yes parts are still available from keene. and those newer gray floats are a direct replacement for the yellow ones. my buddy swapped one on his.

Last edited:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For the parts that are there, I don't think $1000 is too bad.

I am a hardass when it comes to making deals so if I wanted this and it ran great with no pump issues and it came with the 11hp engine, I would offer $700, aim for $750 and be firm at $850 and walk away after that.
Don't burn your bridge, if he doesn't take $850 then you can come back a little later and see where he is on accepting a price.
He may be firm at $1000, if he is then offer some partial trades. :)
If that doesn't work and it is what you are looking for then $1000 is ok in my book.

This is a tool and an investment, sometimes you do spend more than you would like to on a tool but the outcome is what makes it worth while.

OP
OP
Mgumby16

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Picked it up for 750. No 11 hp motor. But a Keene industries high banker. Float are in decent shape and still bow and flex when pushed on with thumb. It originally was a 5 inch triple. They sent it to Keene and had it converted to a single.

The new box is almost like a combination of Keene and proline. I'll have to post some pics.

Also got the box to the triple but no header box.

OP
OP
Mgumby16

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Also the pump and impeller looked good. And being a Honda it started up with the first pull.

OP
OP
Mgumby16

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is what the box looks like and what the dredge will look like when it is together. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459778313.910322.jpg

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a fair price as far as I can tell from the description and pictures.

ratled

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice! You got a good deal out of it for that price. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread