Boatload of late 1700s to mid-1800s relics including a crazy button run at the end

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
As you probably know from Dan's recent posts, we went back for a half day Thurs and all day yesterday to our new site that's been producing mostly CW era finds (including CS buttons) plus a few random colonial artifacts. No need to repeat the all background info again, so let's get right to it. Nothing too exciting for me on Thurs outside of 15 buttons and several IHs. We had hoped to zone in on the potential colonial site, but never could figure out where those random finds were originating from. On Saturday we hunkered down and did our best to pull out something really nice, but again, nothing to knock your socks off although I did recover a nice cut piece of silver right before we left to head across the lane. Unfortunately, it was not the colonial silver I was seeking so my drought in that department continues. As Dan said previously, we decided to spend a few minutes on the other half of the property before leaving to head to another nearby site. This is the area where Dan ran across one lonely flat button during our quick in and out on the first day we were scouting the site. We weren't expecting much as the CW maps showed nothing at all on that side of the lane. But after about 5 min after we started zig-zagging I started hearing a little iron in one spot in the center of the field, then dug a really deep, large piece of brass. I also noticed some brick smears on the side of the hole which told me game-on. Once Dan joined me we started popping out buttons at an astonishing clip. I bet 90% of the signals I heard there ended up being buttons, and there was no trash whatsoever. We did some solid gridding in that area for about an hour, and as darkness quickly approached we wandered around the periphery of the hotspot to see how far the goodies extended. Their density was much less than before, but were still showing up so we know we have a goodly amount of additional territory to cover next time. I also made a nice recovery right at the end of the hunt - a late colonial era spur, or at least the greater part of one. Between that, a lot of melted lead, a couple of marked military buttons, and a ramrod guide Dan found, my belief is that this may be a small, early 1800s military camp although it did have some of the characteristics of a house site as well (so maybe it was both??). Overall I dug 46 buttons in the day and a half, and at least 20 were recovered in the last hour or so. It was fun to hunt a site where you were constantly digging targets, and my arms are thankful for that (although my legs are a bit sore from all the bending over :laughing7:). Had a great time even though I wasn't digging strictly colonial, and can't wait to get back out there again.

Attachments

• 121215a.jpg
    121215a.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 333
  • 121215b.jpg
    121215b.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 252
  • 121215c.jpg
    121215c.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 288
  • 121215d.jpg
    121215d.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 237
  • 121215e.jpg
    121215e.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 247
  • 121215f.jpg
    121215f.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 242
  • 121215g.jpg
    121215g.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 258
  • 121215h.jpg
    121215h.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 245
  • 121215i.jpg
    121215i.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 244
Upvote 41

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
That's an amazing amount of buttons....like a year's worth for me...great bunch of relics as well..Congrats

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that was alot of digging.
They are the hunts we dream about. Although no banner worthy finds, but a fantastic day. With a whole lot of potential left there.
I love the 1812 buttons. And hey, you found a half of a half dime!! Bet that was a first for you???
Great hunt Bill. Does that half count on the year with Dan?

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post and awesome hunt Bill :thumbsup: I really like those buckles and military buttons. That spur is awesome.. I've only found bits of them, but never a piece that big. Would love to find a complete one one day. It's a ton of fun when you get target after target with no trash. Really glad you guys found this place and hope you get to enjoy it a bunch more while the weather holds out. What do you suppose that tiny spigot was used for?

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like that spur piece. I found my only one earlier this year. It's very similar in design and completeness

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whew!! what a super bunch of finds!!Congrats..

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry you couldn't get your coil over a button[emoji39]

Even if the targets weren't colonial it's still a good time when every target is something good. Id say it's worth a couple more trips for you guys. Let's just hope that license plate isn't a curse and you get into cut silver soon.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Even if the targets weren't colonial it's still a good time when every target is something good. Id say it's worth a couple more trips for you guys. Let's just hope that license plate isn't a curse and you get into cut silver soon.

That half dime is cut
And silver. Lol

jwarner51

Aug 11, 2014
United states of America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an amazing day if I've ever seen one! I love those skeleton keys! What is the shield looking item with VR stamped underneath a crown?

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing pile! Never saw a cut half dime before.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
That sure was a boatload you guys dug, hats off to you both!

I like the key especially , it looks like an old railroad switch lock key

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's an amazing day if I've ever seen one! I love those skeleton keys! What is the shield looking item with VR stamped underneath a crown?

I believe that's a keyhole cover for a large 19th century padlock.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

I hear ya Joey. If things don't start picking up soon in the colonial silver dept I may have to make another plate change.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that was alot of digging.
They are the hunts we dream about. Although no banner worthy finds, but a fantastic day. With a whole lot of potential left there.
I love the 1812 buttons. And hey, you found a half of a half dime!! Bet that was a first for you???
Great hunt Bill. Does that half count on the year with Dan?

Nope, doesn't count George. We decided a while back to count capped bust silver, but otherwise if it's not colonial it might as well be a rosie :laughing7:.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great post and awesome hunt Bill :thumbsup: I really like those buckles and military buttons. That spur is awesome.. I've only found bits of them, but never a piece that big. Would love to find a complete one one day. It's a ton of fun when you get target after target with no trash. Really glad you guys found this place and hope you get to enjoy it a bunch more while the weather holds out. What do you suppose that tiny spigot was used for?

Thanks Brad. I don't have a clue about that tiny spigot, but it sure is cute. isn't it?

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Bill, I like the crowned Vickie piece, what do you think it was used for?.....Joe McDonough

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread