Bob Marx

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I attended one of Bob's lectures there back in 1991. My life hasn't been the same since! :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
bikerlawyer

bikerlawyer

Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a caveat, the last time I saw him a few years ago he was at the Brevard Museum which is just across the street, so if anyone goes and he's not at the Library, check the museum!

diggerww

Dec 12, 2007
"One lesson we should all learn from the study of history and archaeology is the importance of context. To be seen properly, Marx and his work must be seen within their proper context.
Wikipedia:
Robert F. Marx (born December 8, 1933) is one of the pioneer American scuba divers and is best known for his work with shipwrecks and sunken treasure. Although he is considered controversial for his frequent and successful forays into treasure hunting, fellow treasure hunter E. Lee Spence describes Marx as the true father of underwater archaeology.
That, broadly, is the context. Born 1933 – that's not yesterday.
Maritime archaeology did not exist in his early days. Nor did scuba gear. Post-WW2, there was a growing number of raw divers, exploring under the sea and opening the way for the future. Archaeologists followed in their wake – and often very slowly."
http://historyhuntersinternational....arx-and-the-maritime-archaeology-of-portugal/

Attachments

• seiko1.gif
    seiko1.gif
    112.4 KB · Views: 455

LiquidAsset

Sep 8, 2010
Somewhere Beautiful......
Detector(s) used
A plethora of gadgets...
Gonna dredge this post up instead of starting a new one. Does anyone know if he still does lectures? If so, how would I go about finding out locations? I would really like to hear him speak. Thanks

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
I definitely would like to hear him speak sometime. Last time I talked to him was about 1973-75ish when I was asking him a question regarding the possibility of a spanish wreck at Jupiter Inlet.

LiquidAsset

Sep 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
A plethora of gadgets...
Thanks you so much allen. I am gonna email him. And he can respond when he wants. I don't want to call and disturb him with any sort of medical condition. Thanks ya'll for the data. Cheers!

Jan 30, 2009
Bob Marx is awesome been following his work many years He is definitely a Legend dont forget about Art Mckee and Edwin Link they had the first treasure museum Best wishes to a speedy recovery Recoverydiver1

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
I was lucky to join Bob Marx for full five days during his visit on UNESCO Underwater Heritage Conference held in Santo Domingo three years ago and I experienced several of his official lectures he had given here in the city as well. His memory is unbelievable at his age, he remembered perfectly dates, names of ship masters, names of capes and rocks, detailes, just everything. In spite of his "specific language" (almost everybody is fu..... *******, you know a sh....., and so on), his knowledge and personal experience have no comparison in treasure hunting and underwater archaeology.
It is highly recommended to attend any of his lectures.

Best regards,
Lobo

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunatally it looks like the site has been taken down, it worked the day I posted

Great shame as it was a very interesting site.

VOC

LiquidAsset

Sep 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
A plethora of gadgets...
Lobo, I suspect he remembers details because he loves what he does. The high points in life tend to be something of remembrance. Moments of memory are somewhat angelic. I have let some time go by, to see if he is in better health. I emailed him this evening. I hope to get a response. If I do, and he is having another lecture, I will post it here for anyone to join. Fun night out :)

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you find out about any talks, do post it. Thanks in advance, Steve.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
A good book he wrote was called "Always Another Adventure". Has anyone read that book? It came out in 1967, so it was before he'd actually found any of the larger treasures he went on to find afterwards. Still great reading though, especially if someone is interested in the early days of scuba.

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread