Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
years ago i remember seeing bob ward on a documentary tv show ...all i remember about it was bob was driving in a station wagon and a guy filming him from the passenger seat..does anyone remember the name of the show?

I would think Greg Davis would remember something like that

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember that scene as well. And Bob doing the talking as he was driving down what I took to be the Apache Trail somewhere NW of AJ.
Thought it might have been in that old "In Search Of....." documentary, but a quick scan of it on YouTube didn't bring it up.

OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I remember that scene as well. And Bob doing the talking as he was driving down what I took to be the Apache Trail somewhere NW of AJ.
Thought it might have been in that old "In Search Of....." documentary, but a quick scan of it on YouTube didn't bring it up.

wayne...i have the in search of episode on the ldm and that isnt it..it has been a long time since i saw the documentary with ward and like you i just remember him driving down the road in a wagon (had to be either highway 88 or 60)...if it is available anywhere i'd like to see it again

OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008

wayne..i just watched the ldm episode of in search of again...its not what we are looking for...hopefully greg or tom will see this and chime in

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I would like to see a "bibliography" ("videography?") of documentaries on the LDM.

I know there is one narrated by the actor Ben Johnson.

I believe Bob Lee produced one.

Lost Dutchman Video.PNG

"Lust for Gold" doesn't count.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I would like to see a "bibliography" ("videography?") of documentaries on the LDM.

I know there is one narrated by the actor Ben Johnson.

I believe Bob Lee produced one.

View attachment 1575718

"Lust for Gold" doesn't count.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
robert lee did one in the early 70's
in search of did one in 1977
a&e did one in 1998
other people in later years

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew Bob's stepson back in the 80's. I was a guard and he was doing time. Boy, I got some good treasure gossip or possibly the longest line of crap you ever heard about the Peralta Stones. According to him, they had possession of them back in the sixties, and this guy came over to look at them. He said he needed better light so he went into the bathroom and locked the door. Bob got suspicious in a minute, and went outside, around the house to the bathroom window where the guy was trying to wrestle them out the window and make an escape. Well, he said that guy had some knuckle bumps and was run out of AJ. So the story from Bob was that when the Apaches chased the Spaniards, or Mexicans, (It's only one generation from a Spaniard to a Mexican) out of the mountains after working the Church of Santa Fe Mine, the Spaniards split up. half went towards what became the massacre grounds, and the other half took a left into La Barge Canyon. The ones that took La Barge Canyon, had the stones on mules, and they made it past Whiskey Springs, down between Whitlow Canyon and Elephant Butte, to Queen Creek, next to where that old bridge is. They got penned down by the Apaches, and decided to bury them since they belonged to the King of Spain. The Indians slung gold all over the mountains during the running slaughter. That's what ole Jake Waltz found. He would head back in there to sift around in the dirt, and sometimes stop at the Quarter Circle U ranch for some lunch. The old timers knew the score. After they all died off, the story just got blasted and silly. Just like Adolph Ruth. He killed himself. He had no business back in there. By the way, I saw this show you are talking about. All I remember is Bob heading across the desert in a station wagon too! I met Bob in the Superstitions. We were hiking out and he and 7 or 8 guys were riding horses in. They were on First Water trail, where that big basalt rock is with all of the old cowboys names chiseled in. I introduced myself and we chatted a bit. He appeared pretty worn from the years in the desert.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread