• Tucker Boulevard South of Lafayette.jpg
    Tucker Boulevard South of Lafayette.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 473
  • 13th at Lafayette.jpg
    13th at Lafayette.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 468

dogear

Mar 11, 2006
Thanks for the heads-up. I wonder if this is now city property and legally accessible? I'll bet there's some good stuff there.... but might need to hunt in numbers in that area.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
My mom and grandparents lived in St. Louis. I just love the old architecture there. It is sad to me to see it torn down. But I sure hope some of you get to hunt it! Dig some silver for me too.

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's sad to see

So much of our old architecture is being pulled down in the name of progress all over the country. Kind of sad to see it go. In Muskegon, Michigan we had Western Avenue, which was a typical medium-city main street business district. In the early 70's they built a roof over Western Ave between the buildings, modernized the storefronts, and it became Muskegon Mall. Now they tore it all down and there's just a wasteland there. sad to see.

Anyway Gypsy, here's a satellite view of the area you're referring to. I put it on file with a lot of the STL spots that I'm researching for when I come down there in the spring after I get home from Iraq.

HH,
SgtSki

Attachments

• Demolition Area.jpg
    Demolition Area.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 374

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
thats a good place to either get shot or robbed! that property was claimed by eminit domain and was given to the hospital. they are the ones you would need permission from! and i doubt they will do that. but good luck anyway!

daaaveman

Nov 13, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax - IT ROCKS!
All the buildings on the sat image across from the City Hospital, the stuff near Picker and Hoehn have been torn down. Look at the sat image, I'm talking about that "cul-de-sac" looking area between 55 and 14th St.

I went out there last week for about 30 min before I froze out. Didn't find anything interesting but nobody messed with me and actually I didn't see another person get within 100 yds of me. However, I'm a big, hairy biker carrying a Lesche and rarely get messed with. I do carry a can of bear repellent just in case.

That can be a fairly rough area but it's not so bad nowdays. It was much worse before City Hospital was rehabbed.

I'll tell ya though, there's a big field sitting there just waiting to be explored. Take a buddy and watch your surroundings. You'll be fine. Hit me up if anyone's interested. I'm gonna get back over there soon.

I'm going up to Chain of Rocks park tomorrow. I'm going to hunt the site of the old amusement park. Anybody ever hunt there?

Wish me luck.

Dave

bill dilly

Feb 7, 2006
Daaaveman, be careful hunting at chain of rocks. That area has the highest rate of car theft in St. Louis. I am always up for a hunt if you ever need a partner. I have a place in St. Louis County to try but I don't really care to go by myself. Let me know if you are interested.

Bill

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
Hey guys,
From St. Charles, spent 5 years as Military Police, and have a conceal and carry license. Would be comfortable in downtown Stl (been to worse...lol). If anyone wants a partner to go with, let me know, I would certainly love some advice on my techniques, and somewhere to go other than the local park. Just send me a PM and let me know if you're interested...

~Tom

daaaveman

Nov 13, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Yeah, I went to Chain of Rocks and rode through on the motorcycle. I didn't stop. Not a racist but I hadn't seen a white person anywhere in the neighborhood and there were some groups of young men who were definitely eye'ing me. I was out of place. I bailed. Didn't even get off the bike.

Too bad. That ground that used to be the amusement park has to be hiding some good coinage.

Thanks all.

Dave

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
daaaveman said:
Yeah, I went to Chain of Rocks and rode through on the motorcycle.

I remember going to that amusement park when I was in grade school. They had it every year and took loads of kids in buses out there. I always thought about hunting that spot. It was kinda run down when we went there for our school picnics, so it must have been an amusement park for quite a while even before we were shuttled in.

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
superduty said:
ashleysflyr said:
Hey guys,
From St. Charles, spent 5 years as Military Police, and have a conceal and carry license. Would be comfortable in downtown Stl (been to worse...lol). If anyone wants a partner to go with, let me know, I would certainly love some advice on my techniques, and somewhere to go other than the local park. Just send me a PM and let me know if you're interested...

~Tom
I got to thinking about your post ... Theres a fundamental flaw with doing it . Your one guy who appears to be a law abiding citizen. The "people" in this area don't care about the law and they all have guns and travel in packs, meaning they will shoot first.... ;D

Yeah, sounds like fun huh? J/K situations not for the faint of heart...or those with common sense. Good point ol' boy, recon we could just feel her out, got an instinct for things like that ya know...kinda built in now...we could always leave at the first sign of trouble...or I could try it out and let you know what I think...we'll see...

daaaveman

Nov 13, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
I've been in there a couple of times now. Haven't found anything of interest. Haven't had any problems with the locals. May have to do with the Lesche I carry in my hand........

I have a can of bear repellent too if I need it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread