Jan 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Whites
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this bone in the Bohemia river in norther Chesapeake MD.

My initial reaction was land mammal and possibly a tusk but As I considered it I think it’s a partial rib bone of a whale. While it’s mineralized I think it’s ice age ish. Thoughts are appreciated. Be safe TreasureNet.com world. I believe there is a predator bite mark on the bone. Could be pre mortality or post. Curious to what you all think.

@bonedoggle ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1588556071.037853.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1588556097.034710.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1588556114.626172.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1588556127.049068.jpg

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good find.

I believe that’s a dugong rib bone. It’s one of the easiest bones to identify, even if you have only a small piece, since they’re completely solid (sometimes with growth rings, a bit like a tree in cross section).

Unlike most other bones they don’t have a spongy interior (what many people call marrow space) surrounded by a thinner layer of solid cortical bone, but are solid throughout for buoyancy reasons. The animals are so blubber-rich that without this kind of bone structure they wouldn’t be able to submerge for feeding (they mainly eat sea-grasses from the ocean floor).

Most usually, they will be Miocene to early Pliocene, so perhaps only a few million years old but that’s just a probability guess and it could be more recent. Predatory bite marks aren’t uncommon, but closer examination would be needed to confirm it. From what I can see in your pictures, I wouldn’t be surprised.

OP
OP
bonedoggle

bonedoggle

Jan 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Whites
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks but this is not a solid interior. Well identified marrow. I believe it is ice age or slightly older by its level of mineralization.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks but this is not a solid interior. Well identified marrow. I believe it is ice age or slightly older by its level of mineralization.

OK... I had to enlarge your picture and run it through 'Photo-Fix' since it's not well-defined in the picture. I wouldn't disagree with 'whale' based on what I can now see.

OP
OP
bonedoggle

bonedoggle

Jan 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Whites
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100% certain not wood or metal and that it is a bone.

OP
OP
bonedoggle

bonedoggle

Jan 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Whites
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Red Coat. Strange bc I think it’s ice age and don’t imagine whales were in the Bohemia river back then.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Related question. When bones are black like that, are they Pleistocene? Lots of the research I do seems to indicate black = Pleistocene or older but I wonder if the environment where it was found would impact color. Curious if black color is a reliable indicator of age

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a guess I would offer the middle section of a mammoth or possibly mastadon rib.

7dc38058-aaf9-11e5-8091-5bbf0a0aec07.jpg

Mastadon
mastodon-twitter-guide-toot-e1491480208523.jpg

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that's a reasonable suggestion, Charlie. It's a cool find! I would wrap it in a lot of newspaper, so that it dries out slowly. If it dries quickly, it will delaminate, and you'll have nothing.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find hope you can take it somewhere for a ID Im sure they would need to do some kind of tests on it.

OP
OP
bonedoggle

bonedoggle

Jan 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Whites
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. @kray it’s pretty dry already as it was a surface find. Still should be wrapped? Also. Did anyone note the damage to the middle of the bone which I think is a predator bite? Cheers @bonedoggle

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all. @kray it’s pretty dry already as it was a surface find. Still should be wrapped? Also. Did anyone note the damage to the middle of the bone which I think is a predator bite? Cheers @bonedoggle

You're probably good then, if it's been drying for some time. Can't say on the bite. Is there a corresponding hole on the opposite side?

OP
OP
bonedoggle

bonedoggle

Jan 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Whites
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@kray no bite mark on the other side. I wouldn’t expect one unless it was bitten post Mortem.

OP
OP
bonedoggle

bonedoggle

Jan 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Whites
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adding that it’s possibly a mammoth rib.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions