Bone fragments and scutes - Brazos River, SE Texas

Brookie13

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone!

This is my first post and my first time taking pictures of fossils for help with ID's. I promise I will get better!
About these fossils:
These bone fragments and scutes were found west of Houston, TX, along the Brazos River (Fort Bend and Waller Counties). All of these specimens were found loose, on several different gravel bars. From the preliminary research I have done already, it looks like they are all Pleistocene in age. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This is what I think so far...
Specimens 1 and 2: Alligator scutes from the Pleistocene
Specimens 3 and 4: Soft shell turtle scutes from the Pleistocene
Specimen 5: Unknown
Specimens 6, 7, and 8: They look like leg bone fragments from Pleistocene mammals, but that's about all I know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Also, any input you can provide on how to take better pictures would be very helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_2728.jpg
    IMG_2728.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2733.jpg
    IMG_2733.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2749.jpg
    IMG_2749.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 94

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
5 looks like tortoise shell. 6 is the end of a long bone. Not entirely sure on specifics. The other two are a bit too fragmentary to determine. Your ids are spot on for the rest.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome, Brookie13. Nice finds! And great, crisp photos, I don't know how you would improve them. Thanks for sharing. Love finding fossils.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread