OP
Paleopilot

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deer or elk antler.
That idea was given some thought. Because of the three points, I don't see how it could be an antler fragment. It's broken away from a larger body, and seems to be the outer layer. Maybe a scapula fragment? Breast bone from a large bird? Thank you for your interest.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with the Deer or Elk idea myself............................HH

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
That idea was given some thought. Because of the three points, I don't see how it could be an antler fragment. It's broken away from a larger body, and seems to be the outer layer. Maybe a scapula fragment? Breast bone from a large bird? Thank you for your interest.

I don't recognize the piece of bone.
It appears to have bilateral symmetry, therefor it is likely to be part of the axial skeleton. It doesn't appear to be any part of a skull, therefor it is from a post-cranial bone. It resembles no part of any vertebra (neural arch) that I can remember, therefor my best guess is part of chevron . . . perhaps from a large crocodilian. BUT, that is just a guess, based on weak evidence, with a fairly low probability.

OP
OP
Paleopilot

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't recognize the piece of bone.
It appears to have bilateral symmetry, therefor it is likely to be part of the axial skeleton. It doesn't appear to be any part of a skull, therefor it is from a post-cranial bone. It resembles no part of any vertebra (neural arch) that I can remember, therefor my best guess is part of chevron . . . perhaps from a large crocodilian. BUT, that is just a guess, based on weak evidence, with a fairly low probability.
Hello Harry, I've included some better scans, the finials of the articular processes rule out the 'antler' theory, also note the bone structure is not consistent with external bone surface, even in the 'molting' stage. I haven't ruled out avian yet. Even with the pronounced crest and curve, no species seem to match. Crocodiles this far north would be a low probability, however not impossible. Large turtle mandible? Thanks guys, I'm not giving up.

Attachments

• Bone frag 1.JPG
    Bone frag 1.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 144
  • Bone frag 2.JPG
    Bone frag 2.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 141
  • Bone frag 3.JPG
    Bone frag 3.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 129

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking its part of the internal structure of some type of turtle or tortoise shell minus the "scutes"

ForumRunner_20121228_155131.png

OP
OP
Paleopilot

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Wooly scapula looks interestingly close...

Attachments

• Forked Bone Wooly.JPG
    Forked Bone Wooly.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 128

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you see the human arm on the left hand side of that photo? Look at the size.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Hello Harry, I've included some better scans, the finials of the articular processes rule out the 'antler' theory, also note the bone structure is not consistent with external bone surface, even in the 'molting' stage. I haven't ruled out avian yet. Even with the pronounced crest and curve, no species seem to match. Crocodiles this far north would be a low probability, however not impossible. Large turtle mandible? Thanks guys, I'm not giving up.

It resembles no part of any vertebra (neural arch) that I can remember
I recognize it now as the anterior face of the neural arch of a cervical vertebra . . . perhaps of a buffalo.

OP
OP
Paleopilot

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you see the human arm on the left hand side of that photo? Look at the size.
Yeah...I see the arm, THAT is a big bone! I was of course using the pic as a formcomparison. My specimen would have to have come from an adolescent.

OP
OP
Paleopilot

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I recognize it now as the anterior face of the neural arch of a cervical vertebra . . . perhaps of a buffalo.
I think we are getting closer. I am uploading a pic of a large Bison cervical, this would be the caudal end, the arch of the spinous process curves forward. If it is in fact a neck bone fragment from a Bison, that would have to have been a giant.

Attachments

• Comparison 001.JPG
    Comparison 001.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 124

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds to me like you already figured out what it is. Why are you making this post? Why not just tell us about your research.

OP
OP
Paleopilot

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Gator, not 100% sure what it is yet. I really don't know. Harry's getting close, I'm researching different Ice Age mammal cervical vertebra to find a match, the Bison is close but I'm not calling it solved just yet. Thank you for your interest, Thomas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread