Bone necklace?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any idea on what type of bone this might be? I don't think it's Ivory but I'm pretty sure it's real. It has kinda a funky smell.

image-2958997488.jpg

image-907360442.jpg

image-2404397992.jpg

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Antler pieces? Are they heavy? Antler pieces would be heavy.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
For your sake, I hope those are one of a kind and invaluable..................priceless.................worth a million bucks. But to me, that is the butt ugliest necklace I have ever seen. It has more than a funky smell, a funky look too. OK, I think I have made my point. Good luck with it.

T.

P.S. Those are so ugly, I do hope it is one of a kind and there aren't any others out there. If I have a nightmare tonight........I am going to meet the girl of my dreams in it, but she will be wearing that atrocity around her funky smelling neck!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Antler pieces? Are they heavy? Antler pieces would be heavy.

Ya, it's pretty heavy. 11 oz total weight. I'm pretty sure they're not plastic they feel pretty rough and gritty almost like Ivory would. Pretty sure it's not Ivory though that be really cool if it was but I don't know. We have a place by us call Patomic bead company I might take it down to her and see what she thinks it might be. For $1.50 I had to have it though!

My Precious

Feb 10, 2009
Adirondack Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at it with a loop or magnifying glass you should be able to determine if it's bone, antler, or another natural because it will be porous. Plastic will look solid under the loop, no little holes. I once bought a Japanese statue for a couple bucks from a military guy who said he'd paid quite a bit for it and thought it was bone. Under the loop it wasn't porous so I heated a needle and it melted into the bottom of it....definitely plastic, plus I could smell melting plastic. You can't sink a hot needle into bone and it will smell like burning hair. Don't ruin your necklace doing the hot needle test though, I probably would only try it if was in a spot not easily seen, like the bottom of that statue.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can tell by the 2nd photo its bone. See the hatching ? I'd guess antler of some type, its not Ivory.
Ivory is hollow and you can't get a piece of it like that...

Keep @ it and HH !!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as it isn't from the Hannibal Lecter collection...

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN1182.JPG DSCN1183.JPG

Hey Clad, now in your nightmare her sister can be wearing one too!! It is bone, cow bone maybe, but they look middle eastern so I guess it could also be camel. The large beads have the hollow outer ring of bone with a bone inset to make it solid where the string goes through it. To all the folks with ivory ID attempts, first, only elephant and mastadon ivory have the concentric patterns in cross section and a sort of wood grain, whale, walrus, hippo and warthog ivory does not. Ivory from elephants is not hollow except where it is the largest where it goes into the skull, the tip sections are solid and can be quite long and thick in diameter. The same goes for the other ivories. Antler is not bone and isn't as dense as bone or ivory.

Last edited:

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am by no means a biologist but I'd have to say antler from deer, moose, elk etc are dense/solid/heavier and bone generally has a more porous center. My dogs have antlers that are "chew toys" that have lasted for years. Antler would be more dense/heavy than bone in my unscientific thought. 😏 Also, I have seen cross section "coin type" pieces of antler used in jewelry on numerous occasions. Interesting piece for sure. Let us know how you do on this piece.

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am by no means a biologist but I'd have to say antler from deer, moose, elk etc are dense/solid/heavier and bone generally has a more porous center. My dogs have antlers that are "chew toys" that have lasted for years. Antler would be more dense/heavy than bone in my unscientific thought.  Also, I have seen cross section "coin type" pieces of antler used in jewelry on numerous occasions. Interesting piece for sure. Let us know how you do on this piece.

How did you make that square before the world Also?

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's funny, I didn't do it on purpose. I used a smiley face icon from the iPhone emoticons keyboard and when I hit post it must have changed it to a square.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am by no means a biologist but I'd have to say antler from deer, moose, elk etc are dense/solid/heavier and bone generally has a more porous center. My dogs have antlers that are "chew toys" that have lasted for years. Antler would be more dense/heavy than bone in my unscientific thought. �� Also, I have seen cross section "coin type" pieces of antler used in jewelry on numerous occasions. Interesting piece for sure. Let us know how you do on this piece.

These are my observations after carving and making many objects for jewelry by hand from antler, bone, and several types of ivory. American antler also has a softer more porous core, although the sambar stag from India does not. Sure, bone has the soft marrow center, but the actual bone, say a shin bone is harder to file than antler. The tines of American antlered animals are solid, but the bases have softer more porous cores. This is why most knife makers prefer the sambar stag to American stag for knife handles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread