Bone tool ??

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this bone fragment in my sifter at kitchen midden site where other finds have been stp, stone and shell tools and lots of old bone fragments, many with cut and percussion breakage marks. A few bone pieces have shown some polish as if they were pins but not really sure of some like this one. This doesn't look normal to me, looks like it was polished up at the one end like it was part of a handle? What.do you all think ? Thanks for looking,vn

20200801_201324.jpg 20200801_201435.jpg 20200801_201508.jpg 20200801_201550.jpg 20200801_201602.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had thought it may be the base of a horn or antler but did not think those (or a tooth ) would be hollow. This is about 2 1/2 inches long.

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you know, the more I look at it now with the canine suggestion....I can see it now, I see what looks like growth rings in pic one about half way up the section. It must have been a big cat, perhaps a huge panther.:thumbsup:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Given the size, it looks like a small bear tooth to me but it could be from many animals, they aren't hollow, but the "pulp" at the center can erode away. The enamel will delaminate and come off.

Too small to be a horn core.

Last edited:

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I didn't pay enough attention to the "ruler" in the background when I sad K9. That tooth is over 2" long but still is some kind of mammal tooth I believe. Everyone realizes that the majority of it was below the maxilla gum line right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All very helpful information, so the polished area was below the gum line. I have found other teeth here but they were all obvious to me. All of the bone frags are calcified in appearance....probably pretty old. Thanks all.

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. The long, rough area is the root.

Ok, wow that must have been a big tooth. Yes it does look like enamel...to me I at first thought it was hand altered/polished but now I think I get it. So probably bear?

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, wow that must have been a big tooth. Yes it does look like enamel...to me I at first thought it was hand altered/polished but now I think I get it. So probably bear?

We don't have bear in my immediate area so I don't have hands on knowledge about that but I have seen coyote and dog teeth in and out of sculls. That one looks very familiar as it came from a large mammal such as a K9 or similar animal with a "snout".

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, we have Panthers here in Florida and hogs and bears too. But as old as this tooth is, the quantity and sizes of these animals back then must have been larger than today. It was probably hunted by the Natives and it's bones ended up in the midden as one would expect. I have bone examples from the midden but have no idea how to distinguish one type from another. Thank you Tdog for all of your insight:thumbsup:

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there has been mammoth fossils found in florida but I doubt this is one of them....

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s likely a carnivore/omnivore, I’m seeing a canine tooth, ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1596504261.605979.jpg
Here’s some coyote teeth I picked up in the woods a long time ago, seem pretty close

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread