Bonehead alpha male kicks me out of my secret spot....

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, after about 30 years of NEVER being approached or hassled by anyone, I was rudely booted from a spot where I got permission to hunt from the pastor in 2004.

An old church with a playground and 2 old baseball fields. No loss. I'm pretty confident I cleaned it out anyway.

Stomp stomp stomp (I felt the earth tremble from behind as I was knelt down digging my 3 millionth muddy penny)

Him -> "WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?" (his fists clenched at his sides, ready for battle)
Me -> "Just enjoying my day. I like metal detecting. I got permission from Fr. S. I've been comin here for years."
Him -> "I DON'T CARE. WHO ARE YOU WITH?"
Me -> Confusion. Thoughts - "what the HELL does that mean?" "I'm with nature, enjoying a day off" I said.
Him -> "THIS IS PRIVATE PROPERTY. I DON'T WANT YOU HERE. WE'VE HAD A LOT OF BREAK IN'S RECENTLY"
Me -> "(Laugh). Well, it sure wasn't me!"
Him -> "I DIDN'T SAY IT WAS."
Me -> "Ok. Guess I'll carry this metal out that kids can cut their feet on" (yes, I really said that)
Him -> Neanderthalic grunt.
Me -> "Thank you and have a great day!"

I've officially put a diarrhea curse on him. He's gonna have a helluva night.

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, after about 30 years of NEVER being approached or hassled by anyone, I was rudely booted from a spot where I got permission to hunt from the pastor in 2004.

An old church with a playground and 2 old baseball fields. No loss. I'm pretty confident I cleaned it out anyway.

Stomp stomp stomp (I felt the earth tremble from behind as I was knelt down digging my 3 millionth muddy penny)

Him -> "WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?" (his fists clenched at his sides, ready for battle)
Me -> "Just enjoying my day. I like metal detecting. I got permission from Fr. S. I've been comin here for years."
Him -> "I DON'T CARE. WHO ARE YOU WITH?"
Me -> Confusion. Thoughts - "what the HELL does that mean?" "I'm with nature, enjoying a day off" I said.
Him -> "THIS IS PRIVATE PROPERTY. I DON'T WANT YOU HERE. WE'VE HAD A LOT OF BREAK IN'S RECENTLY"
Me -> "(Laugh). Well, it sure wasn't me!"
Him -> "I DIDN'T SAY IT WAS."
Me -> "Ok. Guess I'll carry this metal out that kids can cut their feet on" (yes, I really said that)
Him -> Neanderthalic grunt.
Me -> "Thank you and have a great day!"

I've officially put a diarrhea curse on him. He's gonna have a helluva night.

90% of being an alpha male is attitude. If you have permission from the owner go back and get written permission. Maybe even attend a Sunday service for good measure.

Go back to the spot and hopefully that guy sees you again. Keep detecting even if he says leave. Be a little smug about it and if he decides to get physical if you can't beat him down yourself just call the cops on him and let them do the beating for you.

Go back to detecting while mr. tough guys calls his family for bail money.

OP
OP
SilverFinger

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually thought of challenging him. Not worth it. He was hell bent on having me leave. I called the church and left a msg. for the Father who gave me the thumbs up to let Mr Tough Guy know he said it was ok. Hell, I've been there sometime 3-4 times a week, never had a problem.

There's a kiddie school near the church and with all the rampant paranoia these days, I'm sure Hulk Hogan thought he was doing his good deed for the day.

Excellent idea about getting written permission. I will pursue that.

But yes, I felt I was in the right and I -did- get permission. It's just an open field, well away from the school anyway. I wasn't in the mood for a confrontation.

Perhaps if was drinking a 6 pack, listening to a (gag) Brewers game he would've joined me. Anything outside the status quo shakes people up.
I am of the personality to ask 'whatcha find?' - Which people have done many times before without incident.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alpha males have both superior intellect and superior physical abilities. This guy sounds like a beta...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The problem with guys like him is you never know how stable they are mentally... a good reason to always be armed. Not to flash around or anything like that but these types of guys are everywhere and the cops can't help you when there twenty minutes away...

sent from a potato...

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
My guess is the guy was up to no good himself and didn't want you around as he did his thing. Oh and he isn't an Alpha male, he is just an *******.

empty_pockets

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what you call an Alpha Male..... b1541_ORIG-charlesbronsonhardtimes.jpg

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got that right Bronson rocks Hard times,no body doubles

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bring this guy with you next time. Nobody will bother you again.

crazy-looking-crazy-man-700x509.jpg

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought Al G ------ oops, almost screwed up. I thought a guy from Tennessee was practicing to be an Alpha Male, even grew a beard to play the part. Oops again, perhaps that was an alfalfa male. Getting old, mind isn't what it used to be. I'm darn sure aint alpha anymore, if I ever was. But I'm alpha enough to pack heat, and I'm not going to take a beating from anyone that thinks they are tough enough to run an old man off someplace I have permission to be.

OP
OP
SilverFinger

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's either Rasputin OR a very crazed Geico caveman.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread