"BOO" ( A Halloween ... Answer ? )

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
"BOO" ( A Halloween ... Answer ? )

About a week ago I started a thread entitled ... "Boo" ( A Halloween Question )

In it, I expressed interest involving: 1. Why do ghost say "Boo?" 2. When was "Boo" first used in literature to suggest what a ghost might say?

After some extensive research, and responses from various other internet inquiries, I came up with a possible origin of the term "Boo" which may have it's roots to an old "Gullah" legend known as"The Boo Hag." If interested, you can do your own research, but in a nut-shell, the Gullah people were descendants of some of the earliest people (Possible 1600's) who were brought to America from Africa during the early slave trading days. This culture of fine people still exist today, and many of their customs and stories are well known in the Carolina's.

I've attached one such story here for your reading enjoyment. For better viewing you can reduce in size to 50%. No one can say for certain if this is where saying "Boo" to scare someone first originated ... but it is certainly the most logical one so far. So when you metal detecting enthusiast are out there poking around those old homesteads and haunted houses ( or, as the Gullah dialect refers to them; "Haants!" ) be sure and keep one eye peeled for "The Boo Hag." You never know when she might want to get under your skin.

Happy Halloween to all ... and "Boo" to you too.

Respectfully,

Bob

Attachments

• BOO HAG LEGEND  SCAN.jpg
    BOO HAG LEGEND SCAN.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 148

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread